Well , one thing I’ve gotta say for Nigella Lawson is , she does chocolate right! This is the second chocolate recipe of hers I’ve made and it was way yummed out! The first chocolate recipe I made was her Triple Chocolate Brownies and you can find that recipe here. This cookie is sooo great! I am so happy I made it and it will Definitely be making a repeat performance-often! Anyway, the most difficult part of this recipe was translating that England English ( Nigella’s native tongue ) into’ honest to goodness, real American English! ( He he he! ) Why, in heavens name, do they call simple baking soda –bicarbonate of soda? Caster sugar? Well, even a gauche American like , moi, understands that it refers to super fine sugar. For heaven sakes, in this recipe, honest to goodness, plain ol sugar, will do just fine! This is the first recipe that I actually weighed my ingredients, per the recipe. As I did so, I thought, Alton Brown would be soooo proud! Anyhoo, this is a great chocolate-y experience in cookie form. I hope you give it a try. Enjoy!
Source: Nigella Lawson
Intense Chocolate Cookies
- 4 Ounces Dark Chocolate
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 12 Ounces Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2. In a double boiler, set over simmering water, melt the 4 ounces of chocolate.
- 3. In a large bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- 4. In another bowl, cream the softened butter and both the sugars until light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and stir well. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Then fold in the chocolate chips
- 5. Scoop out 12 equal portions of the dough and place on a silpat lined baking sheet. Do not flatten dough scoops. They will flatten and spread as they bake. ( I placed 6 globs per baking sheet. )
- 6. Bake 18 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cookie comes out semi-clean and not overly wet with batter.
- 7. Allow to cool for 4-5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a cooling rack. YUM