There are few meals I love more than Spaghetti and Meatballs. You know what I’m talking about. Good Italian pasta, cooked al dente, bathed in a wonderful gravy and topped of with moist, flavorful, beefy meatballs. Totally a slice of heaven! Simple, soul satisfying food. For some reason, I’ve had a hard time finding a great version of this at a restaurant. Maybe they aren’t the current chic thing for restaurants to be serving, I don’t know.
When I tried this recipe for meatballs, I feel instantly, head over heels in love. These babies were just what I was looking for. I served them with Sunday Gravy and the whole family was smitten. Not only does the flavor totally rock, they are NOT fried. I love this for two obvious reasons. One, there’s not a whole lot of splattered, greasy mess to clean up, and two, there’s not a lot of extra, and unnecessary, fat added to them. I hope you give these gems a try. Let me know what you think!
- 2 Tablespoons - Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 - Onions, Finely Diced
- 6 - Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon - Dried Oregano
- Pinch - Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Slices - Hearty White Sandwich Bread, Torn into Small Pieces
- 3/4 Cup - Whole Milk
- 1/2 Pound - Sweet Italian Sausage, Casing Removed
- 1 Cup - Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated
- 2 - Eggs, Large, Lightly Beaten
- 4 - Cloves, Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon - Salt
- 2 1/2 Pounds - Ground Beef, 80/20
- - Sunday Gravy or Sauce of Your Choice
- 1 Pound - Pasta, Cooked
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees and adjust oven racks to upper-middle position.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until very soft, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add milk and bread and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Mash. Add onion mixture and combine. Add remaining ingredients except beef and knead to combine. Add beef and knead until ingredients are well combined.
- Form mixture into 2 1/2 inch meatballs ( you should have approximately 16 meatballs ), place on rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Transfer meatballs to pot of sauce and simmer for 30 minutes on very low heat so that you do not have to stir pot. Serve over cooked pasta!