Say Hello to the easiest treat you’ll make. You only need 3 ingredients and you don’t even need to turn on your oven. These are wonderful any time of the year, but add Christmas colored sprinkles, and they’re perfect to give as gifts or put on your own Christmas cookie tray. Bet they’ll be one of the first treats gone! Just remember they need to be refrigerated.
For these truffles, because I coated them with white chocolate, I prefer to melt the chocolate in a double boiler. If you want, feel free to melt the chocolate in the microwave. I find the white chocolate can, more easily than semisweet, go slightly too far and burn in the microwave. These would also be great coated with semisweet chocolate. Btw- I used a 10 ounce bag of white chocolate chips from Trader Joes and they worked nicely for coating.
- Line baking sheets with a silpat liner or parchment paper. Arrange room in your freezer to accommodate baking sheet after truffles are rolled and before you dip them in melted chocolate.
- In a food processor, add all the Oreos and pulse to produce a fine crumb. Reserve 1/4 cup of crumbs and set aside (optional to use as a sprinkle decoration). Add cream cheese and pulse until well blended.
- Shape into 48 -1 inch balls and place on lined cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for at least one hour. If the Truffles aren't almost completely frozen the melted chocolate won't adhere properly.
Preparing Chocolate and Dipping Truffles
- Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Do not cover. Prevent water from coming in contact with chocolate. When most of the chips are shiny, stir just until melted. Once melted, immediately remove top pan with melted chocolate from bottom pan. If you prefer a thinner consistency for coating, add Crisco, 1 teaspoon at a time and stir until completely incorporated. Repeat if necessary.
- To easily coat the truffles with the melted chocolate, add truffles , in batches, to a bowl of melted chocolate. Use 2 forks to roll truffles in chocolate until evenly coated. Remove truffles with forks, letting excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. If the truffles become to warm and the coating stops adhering well, place the truffles back in the freezer for another 20-30 minutes. Place truffles on prepared baking sheets; Immediately add decorative sprinkles or reserved Oreo crumbs to decorated as desired. Allow truffles to stand until firm.
- Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator