Soup! Oh, how I love a delicious, warm, comforting bowl of SOUP. This is a bean soup recipe I adore. Well actually, this is a bean and sausage soup. Who doesn’t love the combination of beans and sausage?
This recipe is easy to put together. I use a package of 15 bean soup, ditching the seasoning packet. If you want you can always put together a combination of beans that you like. I just don’t make beans from scratch often enough for that to make sense. Another thing I love about this soup is that it uses lean smoke turkey sausage. The brand I used was 95% fat free, has 100 calories for 1/3 of the entire package, and has 9 grams of protein. This soup comes together as a healthy meal for dinner.
If you want to try new and delicious, healthy meals for dinner, add this soup to your list! Lowfat recipes often lack flavor. This soup is thick, meaty and nicely spiced. If you’d like more heat, add some red chili pepper or hot sauce.
SOUP IS GOOD FOOD!!!
What’s your favorite soup? I’d Love to hear 🙂
Check out These Soup Recipes!
Vegetable Beef Soup – This is loaded with tender chunks of beef, incredibly rich broth, and all the right veggies!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup– Lusciously creamy and loaded with chunks of chicken, great veggies and wonderful wild rice mix!
Matzo Ball Soup – Matzo Balls soaking in a delicious chicken broth loaded with carrots, celery and chicken!
Bean and Sausage Soup
- 1 20 Ounce Bag 15 Bean Soup (season pack thrown away)
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 14.5 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Garlic Cloves Minced
- 3 Teaspoons Dried Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Cumin
- 2-3 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 Juice of Lemon
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 1-2 14 ounce rings, Lean Smoked Turkey Sausage (like Polska Kielbasa chopped in quartered pieces
- Soak beans is a large pot, covered with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours. Or use the Quickcook Method listed below..
- After soaking, drain water, add 2 quarts of water and ham hock.
- Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add onion, tomato, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, liquid smoke, lemon, wine and sausage.