This is an unusual and incredibly sublime cookie.
I had these for the first time over ten years ago at a neighborhood Christmas cookie swap. When I took my first bite, I remember, I almost swooned!
I loved that they were so unique and unusual.
The crunchy nut and meringue topping over the berry shortbread crust was divine. But there was something else…. another flavor mixed in that was just wonderful.
Something very familiat that alluded me.
I dicovered a bit later what it was, when my sweet neighbor Linnell gave me the recipe. It was the clean, crisp addition of lemon extract.
That little addition took these cookies from delicious to, in my ever so almost humble opinion, to absolutely sublime.
I hope you give these a try. They’re great all year round, btw!
Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies
- 1/2 Pound Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk Large
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Ground Walnuts
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 1 Cup Blackberry Jelly
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts Chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly; add egg yolk and salt and combine. Add flour and combine. Pat mixture into a 9X13 inch pan.
- 3. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add 1 cup sugar. Continue to beat until you reach a meringue consistency. Gently fold in ground walnuts and lemon extract.
- 4. Spread jelly over dough mixture in pan.
- 5. Swirl meringue over jelly. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- 6. Bake for about 40 minutes. To cut, use a serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.