There are few meals I love more than Spaghetti and Meatballs. You know what I’m talking about. Good Italian pasta, cooked al dente, bathed in a wonderful gravy and topped of with moist, flavorful, beefy meatballs. Totally a slice of heaven! Simple, soul satisfying food. For some reason, I’ve had a hard time finding a great version of this at a restaurant. Maybe they aren’t the current chic thing for restaurants to be serving, I don’t know.
When I tried this recipe for meatballs, I feel instantly, head over heels in love. These babies were just what I was looking for. I served them with Sunday Gravy and the whole family was smitten. Not only does the flavor totally rock, they are NOT fried. I love this for two obvious reasons. One, there’s not a whole lot of splattered, greasy mess to clean up, and two, there’s not a lot of extra, and unnecessary, fat added to them. I hope you give these gems a try. Let me know what you think!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Onions Finely Diced
- 6 Garlic Clove Minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Slices Hearty White Sandwich Bread Torn into Small Pieces
- 3/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Pound Sweet Italian Sausage Casing Removed
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese Freshly Grated
- 2 Eggs Large, Lightly Beaten
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef 80/20
- Sunday Gravy or Sauce of Your Choice
- 1 Pound Pasta Cooked
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees and adjust oven racks to upper-middle position.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until very soft, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add milk and bread and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Mash. Add onion mixture and combine. Add remaining ingredients except beef and knead to combine. Add beef and knead until ingredients are well combined.
- Form mixture into 2 1/2 inch meatballs ( you should have approximately 16 meatballs ), place on rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Transfer meatballs to pot of sauce and simmer for 30 minutes on very low heat so that you do not have to stir pot. Serve over cooked pasta!
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.