When was the last time you had tamale pie? It’s been a really long time for me. I don’t know why.
When I was growing up, this was my all time favorite thing my mom made. I loved it when she served this for dinner! Well, this baby has gone back into my regular family dinner rotation! This recipe is adapted from Texas Home Cooking. Their version has green olives instead of the traditional black ones. I love how that tweaks the “taste memory” of this dish. The topping recipe of theirs used stiffened egg whites and was a whole lot more complicated than I was willing to put up with for a week night dinner. It was good, but not significantly enough to make it worth it, so I went back to an original for a delicious, simple version; Better Homes and Gardens 1968 edition![/donotprint]
Source: Adapted From Texas Home Cooking
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper. Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 20 Ounces Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 1 Cup Corn-Canned or Frozed
- 1-15 Ounces Black Beans Canned, Drained and Rinsed
- 1-15 Ounces Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies Canned
- 3/4 Cup Beef Stock
- 1/4 Cup Pimiento Stuffed Green Olives Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon or More to Taste Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon or More to Taste Hot Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Cold Water
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cast iron skillet add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and cook the onion, bell pepper and garlic until they are soft, about 7 minutes. Add the turkey and cook until there is no pink. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Make the topping. Place a small pan over over medium heat. Add in cold water, salt, and cornmeal. Whisk the ingredients together until the cornmeal absorbs all of the water and has thickened. Stir in the butter. Drop the corn topping over the filling and then spread it out evenly.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven for 40 minutes.