There are few things that I love as much as I LOVE tacos. A good shredded chicken taco really makes me happy. I searched for a long time to find a great recipe for tender yet and flavorful chicken meat for my tacos.
Well…guess what? I found THE recipe for me! It’s supposed to be a “knock off” recipe of Cafe Rio’s chicken. Honestly, I’m not sure I find it to be an accurate copycat recipe, but, it’s an amazingly delicious recipe for a Mexican style chicken filling. When I first looked at the ingredient list I was beyond skeptical. They didin’t seem like ingredients I’d try to combine together to achieve a Mexican flavor chicken, but I really liked the blog I found this recipe on, so I figured I’d give it a try! Thank heavens I did! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this since it first went into my crock pot!
Recipe Notes: This is one of those wonderful recipes that essentially all you do is throw your ingredients in the Crock Pot and let it do its thing. You don’t have to brown the chicken ahead of time and there isn’t a bunch of ingredients to chop. NO, this delicious crock pot chicken is super delicious and super easy! My favorite combination for a weeknight meal 🙂
Don’t skip the last step of letting the chicken rest in the juices after you shred it or you won’t get the best results. The chicken absorbs a lot of flavor and moisture during this step. If by chance you happen to have any leftover, actually it’s even better the day after you make it. Left overs are bomb!!!
More Crock Pot Recipes!
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – Few minutes needed to make this rich soup loaded with goodies!
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese – This recipe is coated with a cheesy flavored white sauce infused with deliciousness for the fam!
Source: Real Mom Kitchen
Cafe Rio Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- 4 Large Boneless Chicken Breast Halves
- 1/2 Cup Prepared Zesty Italian Dressing
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Prepared Packet Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Smoked Paprika
- Add the chicken to a crock pot.
- Combine the Italian dressing, garlic, and package of Ranch mix in a small bowl then pour over chicken.
- Cook on high 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred.
- Add the shredded chicken to the crock pot and combine with the liquid left in the crock pot. Turn off the crock pot and allow the chicken to rest in the liquid for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- Now go make some delicious tacos...or burritos....or taco salad.... or quesadillas....or whatever your little heart desires!
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.