This is a lovely dense, moist, cake bar that has an incredibly, thick caramel glaze. It differs from other apple cake recipes, in that, it seems to have just enough cake batter to hold together the deliciously baked apples. In that way, it reminds me more, of an old fashioned European dessert. I love the play of the tart Granny Smith apples with the sweet caramel glaze. It’s perfect with an afternoon cup of tea or really any time you want something just a bit sweet.
This cake significantly improves with refrigeration. When it’s served cold it has a great moist texture. If you serve it at room temperature, because it has so much apple to batter ratio, it just kinda crumbles. So, I serve it straight out of the fridge. Also, because of it’s fragility, it’s better eaten on a plate with a fork than it is eaten out of hand.
If you want a less sweet cake, switch the Granny Smiths for a sweeter apple and skip the caramel glaze. I think this would be sad, because I love this glaze soooo much, and remember, the cake isn’t altogether that sweet on it’s own.
More Bars like This!
Blackberry Pie Bars – Buttery shortbread crust, a creamy custard like filling, chock-full of delicious blackberries and a shortbread crumble topping!
Coconut Cream Pie Bars– Rich yet sweet and its simply coconutty deliciousness!
Sugar Cookie Bars – Beautiful delicious bar that is perfectly color coordinated!
Source: Adapted From Martha Stewart
Apple Cake Bars with Caramel Glaze
Apple Cake Bars:
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter Melted and Cooled
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts Chopped
- 2 Granny Smith Apples Peeled, Cored and Chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2-4 Tablespoons Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 7x11 in baking pan.
- 2. In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- 3. In a separate medium bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and egg for about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add walnuts and apple and mix in until well distributed.
- 4. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of cakes comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- 6. When cake is cool make glaze by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 7. Add the brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, continuing to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- 8. Remove from the heat and add the powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoons of milk and vanilla and stir until smooth. If you prefer a thinner glaze add more milk.
- 9. Using a large spoon, drizzle over the cake.
- 10. Refrigerate bars.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.