[puregallery]This recipe is another family favorite. It is hardy, healthy and a complete meal in one bowl. I call that a moms dream come true It is also full or great nutrition. In high school, both of my kids, would devour this. Hubby loves it. My son (mista pickey) would even heat up a bowl of left overs for lunch. This recipe was originally given to me by my dear friend, Deb. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine!
Santa Fe Chicken Stew
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 Sweet Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1/2--1 Jalapeno Pepper Stemmed, Seeded and Finely Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Chopped
- 1/4--1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Ground Cumin
- 64 Ounces Chicken Broth
- 1 14.5 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 16 Ounce Jar Pace Picante Sauce, Mild
- 1 11 Ounce Can Whole Corn, Draines
- 2 15 Ounce Cans Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 6 Chicken Breast Halves Cooked and Shredded
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded,
- Tortilla Chips Coarsely Crusheded
- 1. Saute onion, red pepper and jalapeno in large pot until very soft. Add garlic and saute about 2 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika, and cumin saute for about 1 minute.
- 2. Add all the rest of the ingredients except the chicken. Simmer on medium-low for 1 1/2 hours to allow all flavors to develop. Add water, as needed, to to the soup if it gets too thick. Add chicken and heat through. Garnish soup with cilantro, tortillas chips and cheese. This soup is even better if made and refrigerated a day ahead of serving.
- If you are in a hurry don't worry about the long simmer time. The soup is still wonderful if you just heat everything through after you saute the veggies. I like the long simmer because I like the canned veggies to soften and the flavors to really mingle.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.