When you think of the combination of chicken and buttermilk I bet you think of some type of fried chicken.
Well, I know before I made this chicken recipe, I sure did.
I’d heard of Roasted Buttermilk Chicken but for some strange reason, I hadn’t tried it yet.
This recipe is AHHH-MAZING.
It has quickly shot to the top of my family’s most requested dinner list!
I made it twice in one week when I first tried it.
The buttermilk marinade makes this chicken moist, super flavorful, and juicy!
The rosemary adds a lovely herbaciousness to the overall flavor and the rest of the seasonings are spot on!
I will be making this chicken often.
It’s a given it will be served for Sunday Suppers.
I think it’ll also be great for entertaining.
Who doesn’t love a great piece of roasted chicken?
The most important thing you have to do to make this Buttermilk Roasted Chicken a success is planning ahead and marinating it for 2 days.
That gives the marinade enough time to really penetrate the chicken breast and also tenderize it.
Especially if you want to have white meat chicken.
My family loves white meat chicken so it’s what I serve most often.
If your family likes dark meat, I think thighs and legs would work out really well.
If you use dark meat, after roasting the chicken for 45 minutes at 400, turn down the oven to 350 and continue to cook until chicken is done and juices run clear, about 7-10 minutes.
More Chicken Recipes
Parmesan Crusted Chicken – One of the most delicious, quick and easy chicken recipes EVER!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Recipe-This bubbling beauty is everything you want in a creamy, cheesy casserole and a dazzling dinner dish!
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken -zesty chicken is tender, moist and juicy and loaded with yummy fresh flavors
Source: Slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson via The New York Times
Buttermilk Roasted Chicken
- 6 Chicken Breast Halves Bone In
- 3 Cups Buttermilk Well Shaken
- 3/4 Cup-Divided Vegetable Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley Chopped (Optional)
- 1. In a bowl, mix together buttermilk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary and honey until salt is dissolved.
- 2. Divide the chicken pieces into 2- 1 gallon ziplock bags. Pour half of the buttermilk mixture in each bag. Press out as much air as possible and seal bags. Place on a rimmed dish or plate in case bag leaks. Refrigerate overnight or preferably for 2 days. Flip bag halfway through marinating time.
- 3. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Take the chicken out of the ziplock bags and place on a wire rack so any extra marinade will drip off. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and place the chicken in a single layer on the pan. Drizzle chicken with remaining oil. Roast chicken at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, then turn off the oven, and allow chicken to continue to cook (just in the remaining heat-don't open the door) for 7-10 minutes more or until chicken is done.
- 4. Allow chicken to rest for about 7-10 minutes then serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.