Pina Colada Sheet Cake!
A cake flavored with pineapple, coconut and dark rum?
This recipe was given to me by my darling friend Mary!
It has been passed around and shared through neighbors and friend for at least a decade.
It’s one of those recipes that is worth its weight in gold.
Why you ask…….
It’s super, super easy-peasy to put together.
Moist beyond belief, tender, filled with luscious fruit and coconut.
Each fork full is literally like an amazing flavor explosion in your mouth!
Seriously, no exaggeration!
And it’s all done with a doctored up cake mix!
Whoda thunk it????
Pina Colada Sheet Cake
The cake mix is like an ingredient in this recipe.
Do not follow the instructions on the box or add the ingredient that the box calls for.
Make sure you don’t drain the crushed pineapple.
Just dump the whole can, fruit and all the juice, in the bowl.
You can make this cake with rum, rum extract or without any rum flavor at all.
If for some reason you don’t care for the flavor of rum, or simply don’t have any on hand, believe me, this cake will still be crazy delicious without it!
If you like the flavors of extracts you can use rum extract in the cake and a bit in the frosting.
I find that some people object to the flavors of extracts.
If you are in this camp, using rum is an easy choice.
You can add 1-2 tablespoons to the cake batter, then brush a mixture if 1 tablespoon of rum mixed with 1 tablespoon water on the still warm cake, and put a 1 tablespoon in the frosting.
It depends on how much you want to spike the flavor of the cake!
My preference it to add 2 tablespoons of dark rum to the batter and then brush the top with 1 tablespoon of dark rum mixed with 1 tablespoon of water.
For me, that’s just the right amount of rum.
I bake this cake in a 9X13 inch Pyrex baking dish and it’s perfectly done in 30 minutes in my oven.
More Cake Recipes
Hummingbird Cake – A touch of tang in the cream cheese balances the cake , along with a generous garnish of more chopped pecans!
Kentucky Butter cake – moist and delicious unique cake lovely coated with an amazing butter glaze
Coconut Sheet Cake – Incredibly delicious, super moist, Coconut Sheet Cake topped with a perfect Coconut frosting.
Pina Colada Sheet Cake
- 1 Box Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1-20 Ounce Can Crushed Pineapple Including It's Juice
- 1 Cup~Divided Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 3-4 Tablespoons~Divided Dark Rum
- 1 Can Container Creamy Vanilla Frosting
- 1 Cup Pineapple Chunks~optional
- 1 Cup Cherries~optional
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, crushed pineapple and it's juice, 1/2 cup coconut, and 2-3 tablespoons dark rum until well combined.
- 3. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven 28-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- 4. Mix 1 tablespoons dark rum in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. When cake comes out of the over apply the rum and water mixture to the top of the cake with a pastry brush.
- 5. Allow cake to cool completely and frost with the prepared frosting then sprinkle the top evenly with 1/2 cup coconut. Garnish, if desired, with pieces of pineapple and marishino cherries.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you tried this recipe, I'd love to see and share it! Post a photo on our Facebook wall, or tag us on Instagram @gonna_want_seconds
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.