Green Chicken Chili
This robust green chicken chili recipe is full of succulent chicken and Tex-Mex spices for a South of the border flavor that comes together in one pot!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded, ribs removed and finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon, dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 (16-ounce) jar salsa verde
- 2 (4.5-ounce) can mild green chiles, with liquid
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup instant corn masa flour
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves
- 3 (15-ounce) jars pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Jack or cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and saute until onion is translucent.
Pour in chicken broth, Better Than Bouillon, salsa verde, Ortega green chiles, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and masa then stir to combine. Add chicken, bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat and gently simmer until chicken is fall off the bone tender, about 45-60 minutes.
Remove chicken to a plate and cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks, discarding skin and bones, and return meat to pot. Stir in the beans, and cilantro then heat through. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 813kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 71g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 2902mg | Potassium: 739mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 17.4mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 4.1mg