This Mongolian Chicken has tender pieces of chicken, marinated and pan-fried until crispy, get coated in a sweet and savory sauce!
Servings 4 servings
Chicken and Marinade:
- 12-14 ounces boneless chicken breast halves pat dry with paper towels, sliced as thinly into 1/4 inch thick slices, the short direction of the breast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/2 cups green onions sliced on the diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces~divided
- 1-2 tablespoon white sesame seeds
Chicken Marinade: In a large mixing bowl, stir together soy sauce, rice wine or sherry and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Add sliced chicken and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile Make The Sauce: Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until brown sugar and cornstarch are dissolved; set aside
Stir Fry: Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a 12 inch, nonstick skillet, over high heat. Add the half chicken, spreading it out in a single layer, and brown, about 30 seconds, on each side. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
Drain all but 1 tablespoon oil from the pan. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften about 1 minute. Add 1 cup green onion and cook another 30 seconds. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Add chicken back to skillet and continue to cook until heated through. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup green onions and sesame seeds. Serve over cooked white rice.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 2016mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 43g | Vitamin A: 5819IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 2mg