Take a trip down the bayou with the best Jambalaya recipe for busy cooks! This smoky, meaty entrée will conjure warm evenings with a zydeco beat.
Servings 4 -6
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Pound Andouille Sausage, Sliced
- 1/2 Pound Tasso Ham, Cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 Pound Boneless Chicken, Cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 Pound Raw Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined
- 1 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Minced
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 3/4 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 28 Ounce Can Whole Tomatoes, Including Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
- 1 1/2 Cup Converted Rice
- 1-2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley Chopped
Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottom saucepan over high heat. Add the sausage and ham and brown, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Add chicken continuing to stir constantly and brown, scraping the bottom of the pan well, about 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn the meats; adjust heat as necessary. Add the shrimp stirring constantly, and cook 1-2 minutes, or just until the shrimp turn pink.
Add the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Sautee on medium heat until vegetables are soft about 8 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and continue to cook on medium, stirring often, for 1 minute.
Stir in the chicken broth and whole tomatoes (breaking them up as you add them), sage, salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover pan with a tight-fitting lid, simmer until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed about 20 minutes. Sprinkle top with parsley for garnish and Serve.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 882kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 157mg | Sodium: 2728mg | Potassium: 1389mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 840IU | Vitamin C: 40.6mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2.5mg