Chicken Tortellini Soup
Nurture your inner child with a masterful blend of hearty vegetables, delicate pasta and a boldly seasoned meaty broth that is chicken tortellini soup.
Servings 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil -divided
- 12 ounces smoked kielbasa sausage thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 carrots chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 celery stalks chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 96 ounces plus more for leftovers low sodium chicken broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Better than Bouillon~chicken flavor
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 9-Ounce package tortellini
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley roughly chopped, optional
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot, over medium heat, until it begins to shimmer. Add Kielbasa and brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the stockpot and heat over medium heat, until it begins to shimmer. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and thyme. Saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 6-7 minutes.
Add the sausage back to the stockpot. Add in the chicken broth, bay leaves, and Better than Bouillion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add the chicken, tortellini and simmer just until pasta is al dente, about 5 minutes. Stir in the baby spinach. Ladle into bowl and garnish with parsley and serve.
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 2273mg | Potassium: 951mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 11750IU | Vitamin C: 47.9mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3.1mg