Beef Barley Soup
Perfectly tender grains meet perfectly tender beef in this all-around sensational, beef barley soup recipe! Chilly nights have met their match!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more as needed
- salt as needed
- black pepper as needed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4-5 large carrots peeled and diced
- 6 large cloves garlic rough chopped
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms trimmed and quartered
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes including juice
- 1 heaping tablespoon Better than Bouillon~beef flavor or 2 large bouillon cubes
- 2 (32-ounce each) cartons beef stock
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen green beans thawed and well-drained
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Pat the meat dry with paper towels. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, until it begins to shimmer. Add the beef in batches and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove the browned meat to a plate and set aside. Continue with remaining beef, adding more oil as needed. Lower the heat through the browning process, as needed, if the meat or fond (little brown bits on the bottom of the pan) begin to burn.
Add onion and carrots to the pan, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits and cook over medium heat until they just begin to soften about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until mushrooms soften, another 4 minutes or so.
Return the browned beef, as well as any juices that have accumulated to the Dutch oven. Add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to the pan. Crush the whole tomatoes with your hand and add to the pan. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the barley is cooked and the beef is tender about 1 hour.
Serving: 1/8 of the recipe | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 722mg | Potassium: 1454mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5345IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 5mg