My Favorite Tortilla Soup
Our Chicken Tortilla Soup is a year round go-to for anytime you want a delicious, healthy, comfort meal! Easy to make and loaded with flavor and goodies!!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 Poblano pepper, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 cups Caldo de Pollo or chicken stock
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 12 stale corn tortillas, sliced Into 1/4 Inch-thick strips
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups jack cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, cook the onion, garlic, and peppers over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or just until they are soft.
Sprinkle the salt, cumin, and coriander over the onion mixture and continue to cook, stirring often so spices don't burn, for 1-2 minutes or until the spices become fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth to the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add chicken and continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes. Add cilantro and lime juice and stir.
Meanwhile, spread tortilla strips out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet (you'll probably need 2 baking sheets.) Spray tortillas evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until they are just starting to slightly brown and are crispy. Sprinkle hot strips with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into individual bowls and top each bowl with avocado, cheese and tortilla strips as desired.
Calories: 689kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 2213mg | Potassium: 1418mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 780IU | Vitamin C: 47.6mg | Calcium: 372mg | Iron: 3.6mg