White Chicken Chili
Bold savory white chicken chili is hearty deliciousness full of wholesome ingredients, a little heat, and a whole lotta’ love to warm you up.
Servings 4 servings
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, -divided
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno pepper finely chopped-(remove ribs and seeds for a family friendly milder version)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 heaping tablespoon chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon, dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 (16-ounce) jar salsa verde
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (7-ounce) can mild green chiles, diced, with juices
- 1/4 cup instant Masa
- 2 (15-0unce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-0unce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- avocado, sliced
- sour cream
- jalapeno, sliced
- cilantro, chopped
Season chicken cubes generously with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat and brown chicken on both sides in batches, do not crowd the pot. Remove browned chicken onto a plate; set aside.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot, reduce heat to medium and saute onions, garlic, and jalapeno until onions are translucent. Add cumin, coriander, and oregano continuing to saute, stirring constantly so spices don't burn, until spices become fragrant about 1-2 minutes.
Add chicken broth, dissolved Better Than Bouillon, salsa verde, diced tomatoes, corn, green chilis, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/3 teaspoon black pepper, masa, and both types of beans. Add browned chicken and any juices that have accumulated on the plate into the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat immediately and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
Stir in lime juice and cilantro then ladle into individual bowls. Top with toppings and serve.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 983kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 95g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 2313mg | Potassium: 1713mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 413IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 4mg