Italian Sausage Soup
Crumbled sausage mixes with beans, veggies, & pasta to make my Italian Sausage Soup, a nod to our favorite Olive Garden appetizer! Load up on crusty bread!
Servings 16 -18 people
- 2 1/2 pounds Italian sausage mild
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 6 carrots chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 (28-ounce) canned chopped tomatoes
- 10-12 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups tomato juice
- parmesan rind or chunk
- 1 (15-ounce) canned kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) canned garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) canned cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup small pasta (ditalini, mini bows or elbow)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan, shaved
- fresh Basil, thinly sliced
Remove casing from sausage. In an extra-large soup pot, brown the sausage, breaking it up into medium pieces, as it cooks. Cook until there is no longer any pink in the sausage. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
Add olive oil to the pan then add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook about 10-12 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add garlic and continue to cook 2-3 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaves, and sugar. Add tomatoes with their liquid, stock, tomato juice, Parmesan rind, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, cannellini beans, and cooked sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 45-60 minutes.
Add zucchini and pasta and cook until zucchini is tender and pasta is firm to the bite. Add more stock if the soup has become too thick. Remove bay leaves. Stir in the basil. Taste for seasoning.
Top individual soup bowls with shaved Parmesan and some fresh basil and serve.
Serving: 1/18 of the recipe | Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 1023mg | Potassium: 763mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11.4g | Vitamin A: 3750IU | Vitamin C: 17.3mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 1.7mg