This rich spaghetti sauce recipe is full of wholesome ingredients that resurrect the savory slightly sweet aromatic flavors from grandma’s kitchen.
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and pork to pot, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and crumble into small chunks with a wooden spoon and cook until lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate.
Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan and set over medium-low heat. Add the onion, and garlic and cook, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
Return the browned beef and pork to the pot then add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer for 1-4 hours. Add water if needed to thin.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 613kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 1046mg | Potassium: 864mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 214mg | Iron: 3.4mg