Easy Shoyu Chicken
Shoyu Chicken is a succulent, tender dish that highlights aromatic flavors like ginger and paprika. This chicken will fall off the bone and melt in your mouth as you experience tenderly cooked chicken like never before!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 People
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger Root, Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 5 Pounds Chicken Thighs Bone-In, Skin On
- 2 Tablespoon Cornstarch Mixed With 3 Tablespoon Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoon Green Onions, Thinly Sliced on the Diagonal
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 10 ingredients until brown sugar is dissolved and everything is well combined.
Place the chicken thighs in a large, high sided skillet or large pot, and pour sauce over chicken. Turn the chicken over to coat both sides with the sauce.
Bring sauce to a boil, over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered, turning occasionally, until chicken registers 165 degrees when an instant-read thermometer is inserted near the bone, about 30-35 minutes.
Remove the chicken to a serving platter.
Add the cornstarch and water mixture to the liquid in the skillet, and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and cook until thick.
Adjust seasoning and pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Calories: 755kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 277mg | Sodium: 1853mg | Potassium: 707mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 445IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 3.2mg