Coffee and beer give this classic chili recipe a mouthwatering depth of flavor! Let it simmer all day for an easy to make dinner that the whole family will love.
Servings 6 -8 servings
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion diced
- 2 red bell pepper diced
- 2 jalapeno pepper stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 10 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 4 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans drained a bit
- 2 (14.5-ounces) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4-ounce) can Ortega chiles chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Brown ground beef in a dutch oven in 1 tablespoon olive oil until most of the pink is gone; remove to plate and set aside.
Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and saute onion for about 2 minutes. Add red peppers and continue to cook until soft. Add jalapeno and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt and cooked beef to pan and heat through.
Add beer and coffee and stir up any brown bits on the bottom and sides of the pan.
Add all the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours or until chili is at the desired thickness. Cool and refrigerate overnight. Bring chili to simmer and serve. Yum!
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 940kcal | Carbohydrates: 112g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 3114mg | Potassium: 2930mg | Fiber: 34g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 4130IU | Vitamin C: 115mg | Calcium: 278mg | Iron: 14mg