These Sicilian Meatballs are uniquely flavored with the tastes and textures of Southern Italy! Marjoram, Currants, Pinenuts, Parmesan bring Sicily home.
Meatballs………oh how I love thee!!!! LOVE-LOVE-LOVE thee! Please tell me you guys are with me on this!!! Tell me you love meatballs at least half as much as I do…..tell me we are simpatico on this one…I mean there are so many things to love about meatballs…….
They’re one of the best ways I know to enjoy meat and they’re soooo much more flavorful than plain ole meat……
They’re round and fun to eat…….I mean why not have a little fun while you’re eating dinner?
They’re so many ways you can flavor them…….I’m totally in love the variety…….
So today, I want to share with you a version that’s Italian but that is flavored just slightly different than the standard meatballs you can have at your favorite corner restaurant. These beauties are loaded with marjoram, currants, and pine nuts……….ah..seriously, YUM! The flavors combine to taste Italian and a bit Middle Eastern all at the same time……..you know kinda like ‘a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll’….but nothing weird or too exotic…….still yummy, wonderful, comfort food. The recipe also makes a very simple tomato sauce to dress these gorgeous meatballs. Cook up some pasta and throw together a little salad and you have a dinner that is sure to bring satisfied smiles all around the dinner table!
So I hope you’re ready to get in your kitchen and make sum Meataballz!!! Try these Sicilian Meatballs and let me know how you like them!!! Ciao Baby…………….
- 2-28 Ounce Peeled Italian Tomatoes Crushed
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Black Pepper
- 4 Slices White Sandwich Bread
- 4 Large Eggs Beaten
- 4 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1/4 Cup Italian Flat Leaf Parsley Choppped
- 3/4 Teaspoon Dried Marjoram
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef Chuck
- 1/2 Cup Dried Currants
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour the tomatoes into a large enameled cast-iron casserole and crush them. Add the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, soak the bread in water until saturated. Squeeze out the water and transfer the bread to a large bowl. Mash the bread into a paste and stir in the eggs, garlic, parsley, marjoram, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Add the chuck, currants, pine nuts and cheese and mix until combined. Add the breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon at a time, and knead until the mixture is firm enough to roll.
- Form the mixture into 36 meatballs (about 3 tablespoons each), tucking in the currants and pine nuts.
- Place Meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Add Meatballs to sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta or rice.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
More Meatball Recipes:
Source: Food and Wine