Rich, dense – just plain fantastic – may be my fav chocolate cupcakes! The ganache filling and the buttercream frosting hit it out of the park – Oh My!
Are you ready? Seriously, I mean it, are you ready?! This is the best chocolate cupcake you will evah eat! Big words. I get it. You’re not, yet, a believer. These cupcakes will bring you to the point of no return. You will believe me when I say this is the best evah. Heck, you’ll be leading the parade of the best evah yourself. Please just try these. You’re welcome already!!! I changed the frosting and again, you’ll be happy. I promise! Seriously, SUPER YUM!!!
- 2 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Powdered Sugar
- 3 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate Finely Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Cup Strong Brewed Coffee Hot
- 3/4 Cup Bread Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 6 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 Teaspoons White Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 2 2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 1/3 Cup Half and Half
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
FOR GANACHE FILLING:
- Place chocolate, cream, and confectioners' sugar in medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high power until mixture is warm to touch, 20 to 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth; transfer bowl to refrigerator and let stand until just chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-size muffin pan (cups have ½-cup capacity) with baking cup liners. Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Place one slightly rounded teaspoon ganache filling on top of each cupcake. Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour.
- For Frosting. Cream the butter in a small bowl until light and smooth.
- Blend in the cocoa, vanilla, powdered sugar, alternating with the half and half. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. YUM
- Source: Adapted From Cook's Illustrated
Wow! Triple chocolate threat…my family would adore these!
OMG… I want these right now!! Amazing pics Momma!!!
Oh, those look unreal! Delicious!
Katy ~ says
These look divine! Oh my!
The Food Hunter says
If they taste as good as they look, that will be fine for me.
I stumbled upon your site and the minute I saw this particular post I though, “Hello, cupcake. Let's be best friends.” Wow. I know that these will, indeed, be the “best evah”. Can't wait to try them, thanks!
Kate Morgan Jackson says
LOVE Cooks Illustrated and your cupcake pictures are simply delectable! 🙂