Banana pound cake is one of those fruit cake recipes that you really look forward to because it’s no ordinary pound cake! Actually, this is one of the best banana cake recipes I’ve tried. It’s one of those cake recipes that’ll make you forget all about regular ‘ole banana bread.
This cake is the ideal springtime dessert and when summer rolls around you can turn it into a perfectly yummy peach pound cake…..or even a lemon pound cake. Or go with a scrumptious lemon cream cheese pound cake for a decadent treat.
Until then, brace for a divinely-inspired pound cake.
- Moist and dense
- Sweet delicious glaze
- Practically no fail
How To Make Banana Pound Cake Recipe
This cake is set up to be an easy winner. All you have to do is grease your pan, mix your ingredients in stages and toss it in the oven. You can mix up the glaze once your cake has cooled and you’re off to the races!
This makes the perfect spring/summer dessert for almost any get together. Once people taste this banana cake, they’ll ask for it over and over again. Here’s how to make it happen.
Since this is a bundt cake, you’re gonna’ have to grease and flour the pan. Those so-called non-stick bundt pans can be a little unreliable sometimes.
Also, be sure not to overmix the batter. Pound cakes are already dense, so you don’t want it to be tough.
Making a banana cake is super simple. You are gonna’ love this recipe. Here’s whatcha need to make it happen!
- Butter – All great cakes start with butter, especially pound cakes. I prefer to use unsalted butter in this one and you’ll want it to be room temp.
- Cream – Adding sour cream is a great way to keep your pound cake super moist without thinning out the batter and messing up the consistency. Plus, it tastes dreamy creamy awesome!
Your cake should be stored in the fridge after it is completely cooled and has been iced. Keep it wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! Your banana pound cake can be frozen for up to a month. Wrap it tightly in foil or plastic wrap before placing it in a freezer bag. Sometimes I like to freeze mine in individual slices.
Simply slow thaw it in the fridge overnight or let it thaw on the counter for a couple of hours. Single pieces only take about a half-hour to thaw.
Make Ahead Tips
It’s always nice to have one of these babies in the freezer ready to go! If I know I’m freezing it then I usually wait until the serving day to make the glaze.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Your insanely delicious cake will stay fresh and yummy for up to a week in the fridge when as long as it’s wrapped well, and you start with fresh milk. Be sure that your fridge is set at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Banana Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra to coat the pan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 4 medium
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and add a few tablespoons of all-purpose flour to pan, shake it around to coat well, then tap out and discard any excess.
- In the bowl of an electric stand up mixer, beat butter until it's creamy. Add sugar and beat at medium speed for 5-7 minutes, or until mixture is light and fluffy. (exact time will depend on how soft the butter was when you started). Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yolk disappears and is incorporated into the batter.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat batter on low just until blended after each addition.
- With the mixer on low, stir in vanilla and banana mash and continue to beat for about 1 minute. Using a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon, give the batter a final stir and make sure mixture is well combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan, filling the pan only 3/4 full, and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 50 minutes, testing until a wooden skewer or cake tester, inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean, with just a few crumbs.
- Cool pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then invert the bundt pan onto a plate, removing the cake from pan and cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl with a handheld mixer. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time to get a thick pourable consistency. Place glaze in a 1-quart resealable bag. Snip off one corner. Squeeze glaze over completely cooled cake. Allow glaze to set and serve.
Fans Also Made:
Here are some other crazy delicious banana cake recipes for you to try!
When you’re ready for an insanely delicious dessert, banana pound cake offers a distinctively sweet treat with prominent vanilla hints and a rich cream cheese glaze. This warm-weather confection is picnic-ready, potluck approved and most delightful.
I just know you’re going to love this banana cake and believe me – they’re gonna’ want seconds!