Lemon pound cake is one of my all-time favorite fruit cake recipes and once you try it, I just know you’re going to love it too. I keep it with my Easter dessert recipes because it’s one of the most beautiful and refreshing cake recipes I have. Gorgeous, sweet, and simple Easter recipes aren’t always easy to come by.
If you’re a lover of all things lemon like me, you can always make Easter lemon bars or lemon coconut bars. They’re a fantastic warm-weather treat with a burst of citrus flavor. I’ve even made lemon brownies before. Tangy lemon undertones are a yummy backdrop for rich sweet chocolate.
Back to the pound cake. You don’t want to miss this!
- Polished presentation
- Sweet lemon glaze
- Insanely delicious
How To Make Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This addictingly delicious lemon pound cake only takes about 10 minutes to throw together. Most of the listed time here is in the oven. Simply combine the cake batter ingredients systematically and toss it in the oven in a Bundt pan.
Make lemon glaze on the stovetop and pour over inverted pound cake. Enjoy, then enjoy some more!
This intensely satisfying lemon pound cake is one of the best lemon cakes I’ve ever tasted, and I want yours to be just as delicious. It’s a simple recipe but you do want to sift the dry ingredients together twice.
This aerates the ingredients and disperses them evenly to give you a lighter more balanced finished product.
Lemon Cake Ingredient Notes
When making a lemon cake, a lemon pound cake, and a lot of other cakes it helps to start with room temperature ingredients. It helps with the creaming and emulsification process. In cooking, room temperature is between 65- and 70-degrees Fahrenheit.
Got yogurt? – …but, no milk? No problem! I’d just replace milk with yogurt in my best easy lemon pound cake recipe ever!
Storing your pound cake is as easy as putting it in a cake saver on the counter. Once you slice it, you should cover the open area with cling wrap to keep it moist.
If your kitchen gets hot or you’re not going to serve it for a couple of days, you may want to put your cake in the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely!! This cake freezes nicely. Just wrap it well in cling wrap or foil before placing it in a freezer bag. Simply thaw on the counter for about an hour.
Sometimes, I like to cut mine before I freeze it so I can just pull out a piece or two at a time.
Make Ahead Tips
This cake stays fresh and yummy when stored properly so you can always make it beforehand and have it ready when you need it. Keep in mind, there’s only a ten-minute prep time involved to make it fresh.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
You can keep your cake totally crave-worthy and irresistible for up to a week in the fridge if it’s wrapped well and protected from air and moisture.
Besides, you don’t want it to pick up other flavors from the fridge but I’m tellin’ ya’ it’s gonna’ get gobbled up so much faster than that!
There are tons of different things you can do with this moist sweet lemon pound cake to change things up a little, but it tastes pretty fantastic just like it is. Here are some simple suggestions.
- You can add blueberries!! Lemon blueberry pound cake is a thing of beauty but you can just make a regular lemon blueberry cake. This scrumptious flavor combination also makes fantastic lemon blueberry bars.
Lemon Pound Cake
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups sugar divided
- 6 eggs large
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together twice.
- Cream the butter and 1 ¾ cups sugar until pale and fluffy about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 ½ hours, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Poke holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer
- Meanwhile, bring the lemon juice and remaining sugar to a boil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Invert the cake onto a rack, position over a baking sheet and slowly pour the syrup over the cake, it will seep through the holes and into the cake. Let cool to room temp.
Fans Also Made:
If a pound cake is your jam, then we must have been partners in another life. Here are some other awesome pound cake recipes you can try.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Eggnog Pound Cake
- Blueberry Pound Cake
- Peach Pound Cake
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Million Dollar Pound Cake
- Peach Cobbler Pound Cake
Lemon pound cake is the ideal springtime and Easter dessert. Its simple to throw together, you can make it ahead of time and its insanely delicious. This dessert, my friends, is truly a diamond in the rough!
Source: Adapted From Lori Longbotham