When fall ushers in the cold weather and the leaves have fallen, it’s time to pull out trusty chili recipes like this instant pot turkey chili. Some people make chicken chili instead because it works so well with this recipe and that’s okay too.
Whether this is one of your turkey recipes, chicken recipes or spicy chicken recipes, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is the robust bowl of chili. This hearty satisfying instant pot turkey chili has layers of yummy flavor built in to carry you through the rest of your day.
Check it out!
I absolutely love all the vibrant layers of yummy flavor in this instant pot turkey chili recipe. This is no ordinary substitute-some-turkey-for the beef kinda’ chili. This instant pot turkey chili is built around a layer of WoW! that wakes up your taste buds.
Plus, it’s ready in under an hour. Here are some other great reasons to love it.
- Wholesome and nutritious, lots of veggies
- The versatile flexible recipe that is easily adapted
- Layers of vibrant robust flavors married together cohesively
- Great for feeding crowds and large family get-togethers
- Ready in under an hour, no standing over the stove
Serving up this instant pot turkey chili recipe is super simple, but you do want to follow all the steps to coax out every single layer of flavor individually. It only takes a couple of minutes, but it makes a huge difference. For example……
Tossing the spices in the hot turkey meat and giving them a quick sauté really perks them up. Not only does it bring out their deeper flavors and essential oils, but it adds new life to the entire dish.
Also, don’t skip the deglazing with the beer! If you don’t scrape the brown bits off the bottom of your instant pot the burning light could come on and mess you all up! Besides, the fond really kicks up the flavor profile like you won’t believe!
Here’s the thing. Try not to crinkle your nose when you look at the ingredient list. It looks long at first glance but it’s mostly kitchen staples you probably already have and there are several different spices too. ~Nothing out of the ordinary.
But! There are some secret ingredients that are vital to the recipe. This may contradict everything you think you know about making chili, but I promise this instant pot turkey chili recipe will make you redefine your relationship with chili altogether.
The secret ingredients are cocoa and instant decaffeinated coffee crystals. There – I said it. Don’t think about it, just do it. Here’s the other stuff.
Turkey – I typically use ground turkey for this instant pot turkey chili recipe because it resembles the consistency of traditional chili, but you could probably use leftover Thanksgiving turkey too. It will have a different consistency, but the flavor will be the same.
Fresh Veggies – Onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and corn give this recipe a wholesome quality with plenty of texture to boot. Just be sure to sauté them and call out the sweeter more balanced qualities.
Canned Veggies – You’ll use a moderate blend of crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce with a dash of Worcestershire to create the full-flavored base that holds this chili together.
Beans – Adding a healthy dose of kidney beans and pinto beans to your chili gives it texture, flavor, and plant-based protein. Plus, it’s just plain delicious!
Beer – Not only will you use the beer to deglaze your pot, but it’ll add to the flavor of the base ingredients. Trust me on this one. It is Ah-ma-zing!
This instant pot turkey chili recipe will continue to develop deep rich flavor as everything mingles, so it just gets better and better. It stores best in an airtight container with a secure lid.
If your fridge is full of holiday food and there’s no room for a larger container (guilty), it keeps just fine in gallon-sized Ziplocs too.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! You can most certainly put this instant pot chili into the freezer for an awesome ready-made meal that you can grab mid-week. The best part is that those zealous vibrant flavors will continue to develop as your chili thaws. It’ll be better every time you taste it!
Make Ahead Tips
Nothing beats a piping hot bowl of chili when it’s cold and dreary outside and this instant pot turkey chili recipe means it can be ready in under an hour! I like to make a double batch and put one in the freezer.
Then I store the leftovers in single-serve mason jars that are easy to throw in a bag for lunch or just dump in a bowl and reheat. Totally convenient when you’ve got teens or family visiting from out of town!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
When stored properly, your instant pot turkey chili recipe will stay fresh and yummy for up to 3 days in the fridge. It’s probably a good idea to reserve the 2-hour serving rule if you’re feeding a crowd.
It’ll keep even longer in the freezer. I like to set my freezer bag in a disposable pan, then pour the chili in. Let it harden, pop it out and seal. Viola! Makes it easier to play freezer Tetris when you’re fully stocked.
This instant pot turkey chili is so versatile, and the recipe is really forgiving! It rates right up there with some of the best instant pot chicken recipes around. There are so many different things you can do I can’t even name them all but here are a few simple suggestions for ya!
Can I Add Rice?
There is nothing wrong with adding a little rice to your instant pot turkey chili. It’s a great way to stretch the recipe but it will require more liquid.
Depending on your goals you could make it with the consistency of instant pot chicken and rice or more like an instant pot chicken and rice soup. It’s up to you!
Can I Add Some Citrus To This Recipe?
Well, I suppose you could add citrus to your instant pot turkey chili, but it will totally change the flavor. I haven’t traveled down that road yet.
When I’m in the mood for a citrusy burst of fresh, I make something like instant pot orange chicken or chili lime chicken. If the sweeter orange doesn’t appeal to you, then you can always go with instant pot lemon chicken instead.
What Other Chili Chicken Recipes Can I Make?
There are so many different types of chicken chili; there’s a flavor for everyone. Plus, most of the time you can use turkey interchangeably like in this instant pot turkey chili. I’ve made white chicken chili and white turkey chili both and they are just as scrumptious as ever!
You can also go in a totally different direction with chicken taco chili that offers a fresh burst of YuuuM! in every bite.
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded, ribs removed and minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup beer
- 1 (15-ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon instant decaffeinated coffee crystals
- 2 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
- corn chips
- cheese, shredded
- red onion, minced
- avocado, sliced
- sour cream
- Turn 6.5-quart Instant pot onto saute function. Add the vegetable oil. When display reads "hot". Add the ground turkey, onion, garlic, red pepper, and jalapeno then brown and crumble the turkey.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper, cocoa, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano, and continue to saute, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in beer scraping up all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan (do not skip or the burn light may turn on).
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, coffee crystals, pinto beans, kidney beans, and corn.
- Place the lid on and set the "steam release" knob to "sealing". Press the "Manual" button and set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking cycle has completed, let the pot sit and naturally release pressure for 18 minutes minimum. Then turn the steam knob to venting to release the remaining pressure.
- After the pin drops, carefully open lid away from you (there will likely still be remaining steam). Stir the chili. Adjust seasoning, ladle into individual bowls and top with desired toppings.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
Not just any chili beans recipe is worthy of your time in the kitchen but there are some really good ones. As absolutely delicious as this instant pot turkey chili is, there are other recipes that may tickle your fancy. Whether you need some variety or you’re still finding your chili groove, here are some other recipes you may enjoy!
- Turkey Mole Chili (ft: holy mole turkey chili) – And it’s so good that’s what you say when you take a bite – Holy Moly!
This instant pot turkey chili is one of my all-time favorite chili recipes because its so easy to throw together and it just tastes so good. It is the proverbial warm comfort served in a big bowl of flavor. Really! This recipe is synonymous with cold weather in my kitchen and I know that once you try it you’ll feel the same way.
I can’t wait to hear what you think!