This turkey chili is deeply layered with flavor. It’s thick, hearty, and super comforting! It’s loaded with ground turkey, beans, and great vegetables. The seasoning is spot on and brings a true chili flavor to this turkey version of everyone’s favorite bowl of comfort food.
This recipe has been entered into many chili competitions and it’s a true award winner! Try it and you’ll know why.
This family loves chili! Here are a few more recipes I hope you try. ♥
Best Turkey Chili Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil
- Ground Turkey
- Black Pepper
- Bell Peppers
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Smoked Paprika
- Instant Decaf Coffee Crystals
- Petite Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies
- Tomato Sauce
- Beer Not only will you use the beer to deglaze your pot, but it’ll add to the flavor of the base ingredients. Trust me on this one. It’s an Ah-ma-zing flavor enhancer, all the alcohol evaporates, and there’s absolutely no beer taste.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Liquid Smoke
- Pinto Beans
- Shredded Cheese
- Red Onion
- Cilantro Leaves
- Corn Chips Or Fritos
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. I think it always tastes better the next day, once the ingredients have had time to settle, so this makes a great next-day lunch leftover meal!
- You can shake up the flavor combination day to day by using different toppings. One day, go for cheese; the next, do avocado and salsa for a Mexican splurge. The possibilities are endless!
- Can You Freeze This? Yes! This recipe will last you up to 6 months in the freezer. Be sure to thoroughly cool the chili before you freeze it. If not the residual heat will create steam during the freezing process, which will lead to freezer burn.
- Make-Ahead Tips: The flavor in this chili only gets better over time! Making it a day or two ahead and letting it sit in the fridge will create an even better chili!
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
How to Make Turkey Chili Recipe
- Brown the turkey.
- Add the veggies. Sprinkle the spices.
- Stir and cook until the spices are fragrant.
- Add turkey back to the pot. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook and simmer. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with toppings.
See full instructions below.
How to Make Turkey Chili In The Slow Cooker
- Follow the stovetop instructions on the recipe card (below) through step #3
- Add the beer to sauteed vegetables and toasted spices, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. (This will cook off most of the alcohol in the beer). If that isn’t a concern or you choose not to use the beer, you can skip this step.
- Pour vegetable mixture into crockpot and stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, cocoa, coffee crystals, diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and beans.
- Add the cooked turkey to the crockpot.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Ladle into individual bowls and top with optional toppings as desired. Serve!
More Seriously Wonderful Chili Recipes
- Boilermaker Tailgate Chili
- Crockpot Chicken Chili
- Green Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Pioneer Woman Chili
This turkey chili is deeply layered with flavor, thick, hearty, and super comforting! It’s loaded with ground turkey, beans, and great vegetables.
Servings: 12 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 red bell peppers seeded, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, ribs removed and minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons dried chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant decaf coffee crystals
- 2 (15-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- shredded cheese
- red onion chopped
- cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- jalapeno slices
- corn chips or Fritos
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the ground turkey (2 pounds) and 2 teaspoons salt, and black pepper (1 teaspoon). Cook turkey until there is no longer any pink. Transfer the turkey to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat and add onion (1), red (2) and green peppers (1), jalapeno (1), and garlic (2 tablespoons). Cook until veggies are soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle chili powder (2 tablespoons), red pepper flakes (1/2 teaspoons), paprika (2 teaspoons), cumin (1 tablespoon), coriander (1 tablespoon), and oregano (1 tablespoon) over the top of the vegetables and continue to cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes or until spices are fragrant.
- Add the turkey back to pan then stir in the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, cocoa (2 tablespoons), coffee crystals (1 tablespoon), diced tomatoes with green chilies (2 cans), 1 can tomato sauce, beer (12 ounces), Worcestershire sauce (1 tablespoon), and liquid smoke (1 teaspoon) until combined. Add beans (2 cans) and corn (1 can). Partially cover the pan and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours. Adjust seasonings as needed. Ladle into individual bowls and serve with toppings.
Fans Also Made:
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 1099mg | Potassium: 1057mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1621IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 5mg
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I'D LOVE TO SEE!Tag @GonnaWantSeconds or #gonnawantseconds on Instagram!
© Gonna Want Seconds. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blog is strictly prohibited.
On your phone? Check the web story here.
Ooooh this is soooo good! It snows so bad here right now. Me and my kids need this.
Thanks, Jamie! Stay warm and enjoy this chili!