Tater tot breakfast casserole is a full-flavored combination of all your favorite breakfast foods layered into a delicious one-dish meal perfect for a weekend breakfast, family brunch, or church potluck.
How many recipes do you actually make that are kid-requested and mom-approved? I have to tell those recipes are like gold to me. I mean, anytime I can score a double win like that, you better believe I take it.
This recipe is not only that, it’s easy to put together and produces a full-fledged over the top breakfast casserole. It’s also been a HUGE reader favorite recipe for years so don’t miss out on this one!
Let’s make breakfast!
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- Meaty, cheesy, and tater Tots….I mean!
- Can be made ahead of time.
- The crispy brown edges of the casserole!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Video Tutorial
- Bacon: Instead of bacon, try ham, chicken sausage, or turkey bacon.
- Tater tots: You can add them straight from the freezer to the baking dish.
- Cooking: Be sure to preheat your oven and keep an eye on the baking time. You don’t want to overbake this one. Also, don’t skip the resting time before serving. It’s vital to the proper texture and flavor of this yummy dish.
- Add veggies: Diced bell peppers, tomatoes, fresh spinach, and even broccoli are just a few examples of fresh veggies that complement the taters…and please the totsa
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Once cooked, this casserole will stay fresh and yummy in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just let it cool completely and cover tightly with wrap before sliding into the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! Casseroles make notoriously scrumptious freezer meals and this tater tot breakfast casserole is no exception. Once completely cooled, hotel wrap first then aluminum foil to protect against freezer burn. Just slow thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Sometimes I like to freeze individual pieces that we can grab one at a time as desired. The smaller pieces can be reheated in the oven or microwave. Leftover casserole with eggs can last up to 2 months in the freezer.
Make Ahead Tips
You can whip it up the day before you need it and slide it into the fridge, unbaked overnight, then bake it the next day.
Just be sure to keep it covered and separate from other foods because of the raw egg content. It can be stored this way for up to 48 hours, but I find it best to bake it within 24 hours of assembly.
This savory decadent tater tot breakfast casserole is a rich delicious dish that can stand all on its own. That said, it does pair really well with a sweet bread item for a dynamic duo that’ll have them eating long after they’re full.
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Switch the Monterey jack to pepper jack to spice things up
- Cook in a crockpot. Follow the recipe instructions as listed below, but combine them in your slow cooker instead of a casserole dish. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5.
- Bisquick Quiche
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Bisquick Banana Bread
- Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Coffee Cake
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 2 (9-ounce) packages breakfast sausage links
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 (32-ounce) package tater tots
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded~divided
- 2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet until cooked through. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and drain skillet of all fat. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Cook bacon in the same, defatted skillet until brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble.
- Arrange tater tots in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, 1/4 cup green onions, salt, and pepper. Stir in cooked sausage and half the cooked bacon.
- Fold in 1 cup Monterey jack cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese into the egg mixture and pour egg mixture over tater tots
- Bake in the preheated oven until the egg mixture is set. Approximately 40-45 minutes.
- Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 cheddar cup cheese, pop back in the oven, about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with remaining half crumbled bacon and green onions and serve.
Fans Also Made:
- You can add the tater tots straight from the freezer to the baking dish.
- Be sure to preheat the oven and keep an eye on the baking time. Avoid over baking.
- Don't skip the resting time before serving.