Our Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole takes minutes to assemble and the result is a dish that’s perfect for family breakfast, fancy brunch, or a church potluck! A cheesy, comfort food casserole loved by kids and adults! This tater tot breakfast casserole is truly the perfect one-dish meal.
Warm and cheesy, this breakfast tater tot casserole is like a hug. It is a perfect complement to any table. Bacon, potatoes, sausage, eggs (and did I mention cheese?) combine to make a meal that encompasses all of your favorite breakfast foods, in one. Perfect with a hot cup of coffee, tea, or a tall glass of orange juice. Kid-friendly, parent approved, this is one you won’t want to skip!
Who doesn’t love a great breakfast casserole? The weekend at our house always has one on the menu! This tater tot breakfast casserole is always a hit but my family also really enjoys a few others. The kids especially love Bisquick Breakfast Casserole that’s loaded with sausage, egg, and potatoes that’s a snap for me to put together. Then there’s always the perennial favorite Breakfast Casserole which is my go-to for company, holidays (Christmas morning and Easter!) and just when I want an extra special breakfast! It’s a make-ahead rockstar that’s loaded with all my favorite decadent ingredients.
HOW DO YOU MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE?
Cook your sausage and bacon in a skillet. Place a layer of tater tots in a single layer 9X13 inch baking dish. Mix together your egg mixture and throw in the sausage and bacon. Then pour it over the tots and bake! Et Voila!.
The egg mixture thickens in the oven, creating a delicious, gooey combination of crisp potatoes and bubbly cheese. The savory flavors are a perfect compliment to a sweet side. Try our Blueberry Coffee Cake to create the perfect, classic breakfast duo.
**What I LOVE Most About This Recipe**
- It’s Quick and Easy to make.
- Meaty, Cheesy, and Tater Tots….I mean!
- Can be made ahead of time.
- The Crispy Brown edges of the casserole!
CAN YOU MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! This recipe is fantastic for a make-ahead dish. Whether you’re prepping for breakfast the next day or making a large batch to take to a brunch, it’s very easy to assemble.
It can be whipped up at any time and kept in the fridge for 24-48 hours before baking. I do recommend baking it within the first 24 for taste.
Safety Tip: Our version contains raw eggs, as many of them do, so be sure to keep it well covered and separate from other foods. Safety first, friends!
CAN YOU FREEZE TATER TOT CASSEROLE?
You sure can! The freezing ability of casseroles reigns far above most foods. They freeze well. The best part is that when you take them out, thaw, heat and consume…they taste just as good!
Here’s How: After baking, place your casserole or leftover portions, into a freezer safe container and freeze away! I like to divide it up into a few smaller, individual servings, so I can just take it out and warm it in the microwave anytime I’m looking for a quick, easy breakfast!
Safety Tip: Casseroles with cooked eggs should not be stored for longer than 3 months. Don’t worry though, it will never take you that long to eat it. Check out these fantastic guidelines on freezing food and storage time.
CAN YOU MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE IN THE CROCKPOT?
We all love the crockpot for one reason: convenience. It helps us live life a little more simply. It’s a great convenience having breakfast ready to go when you’re trying to get the family out the door in the morning. It’s almost as fantastic as being home alone with a king-sized Toblerone and a Gilmore Girls marathon.
All you have to do to make this happen is to get up early. You don’t even have to stay up. You can stumble joyously back to bed, knowing that breakfast for your family will be ready when they all wake up!
- Follow the recipe instructions as listed below, but combine in your slow cooker instead of a casserole dish.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5.
Oh, and as just a little side note, Check out the photo above. This is my favorite part of this whole dish! The amazing crispy edges!!!
I’m telling you this dish is perfection!
RECIPE NOTES FOR TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE:
Versatile: One of my favorite parts about this tater tot breakfast casserole is that the flavors are completely interchangeable! Leftover work great!
Our tater tot breakfast casserole recipe is also incredibly easy to lighten. Don’t get me wrong, it’s delicious as is, but you’ll see yet another change in flavor if you try chicken sausage, turkey bacon, or even skim milk!
Make it Vegetarian: Making a vegetarian version is easy. Omit the bacon and sausage (obviously) and add cooked vegetables. Trust me when I say that you can literally add almost any vegetable to this dish to create the ultimate tater tot breakfast casserole no meat version! Diced bell peppers, tomatoes, fresh spinach and even broccoli are just a few examples of fresh veggies that complement the taters…and please the tots. Kids LOVE the veggie version. You can even attempt the tater tot casserole sausage fake out. Use Morningstar Farms sausage crumbles!
Simplicity: No matter how you decide to make this dish, the fact that the tater tots can go right into the pan from the freezer, and that it can be prepped in advance or made completely in the same day, makes it incredibly appealing for not only weekday breakfasts, but for large events as well!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 2 (9 Ounce) Packages Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 Pound Bacon
- 1 (32 Ounce) Package Tater Tots
- 12 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, Shredded
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded~Divided
- 2 Tablespoons Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet until cooked through. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and drain skillet of all fat. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Cook bacon in the same, defatted skillet until brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble.
- Arrange Tater Tots in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, 1/4 cup green onions, salt, and pepper. Stir in cooked sausage and half the cooked bacon.
- Fold in 1 cup Monterey jack cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese into egg mixture and pour egg mixture over tater tots
- Bake in preheated oven until egg mixture is set and, 40-45 minutes.
- Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 cheddar cup cheese, pop back in the oven, about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with remaining half crumbled bacon and green onions and serve.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
More Breakfast Recipes…
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Bisquick Breakfast Casserole
- Hashbrown Casserole – No need to go out to enjoy this cheesy Hashbrown Casserole. It assembles in minutes, uses few ingredients, and tastes just like the restaurant version!
- Bisquick Sausage Balls assemble in mere minutes to form bite-sized snacks that are full of flavor & perfect for dipping! Moist, meaty, & of course- delish!