My instant pot white chicken chili recipe is here to warm up your cold autumn nights! I know you have a lot of chicken recipes to pick from when the weather gets cool and your bellies start rumbling, but this is one of the instant pot chicken recipes that should definitely be on your Must Try list.
The tender, juicy chicken sits in a lime-brightened broth — but with elevates, this Instant Pot chicken recipe is the spice. Jalapeno and poblano peppers make this spicy chicken warm from bite one! I think we all love chili recipes, right?
Get ready for eye-watering spicy instant pot white chicken chili deliciousness!
The cooler months are for experimenting with recipes! What other way do you pass those long nights than with fun new dishes? And my instant pot white chicken chili recipe is your next new try when you want something spicy!
- Instant Pot! Need I say more?
- Quick clean up
- Minimal prep
- Spicy Mexican deliciousness
Basic white chicken chili is a staple when it’s soup season. Creamy white chicken chili is a close second. My instant pot white chicken chili recipe is the delicious marriage of both! Ready for a pepper-infused dinner? Review my notes to make sure your dinner is good to the last spoonful!
Creamy Dreamy: Don’t have cream cheese but still want that creamy dreamy aspect of my instant pot white chicken chili recipe? That last addition helps soften the spice of the peppers. If you don’t have cream cheese, you can substitute pureed cottage cheese or yogurt.
Beans: My instant pot white chicken chili recipe uses Great Northern Beans because, believe it or not, there is a difference between these and the more common pinto beans. Even though Great Northern Beans are larger, they actually cook faster than pinto beans, so they’re perfect for Instant Pot recipes.
Peppers: Yes, my instant pot white chicken chili recipe uses two types of peppers — and again, there is a difference! Jalapenos are significantly hotter than poblano, and both peppers bring their own flavor profiles to this dish.
Poblanos tend to be earthier while jalapenos are a bit brighter. If you don’t want your chili to be as spicy, cut down on the amount of jalapeno you add.
Chop chop: Speaking of cutting: be careful with how you chop your jalapeno! The spice level can be wicked for your eyes and skin. Follow steps like these to make sure you stay safe!
White Bean Chicken Chili Storing Tips
You’ve made a whole Instant Pot full of white bean chicken chili — now what? Storage, of course!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! My instant pot white chicken chili recipe is great for freezer meals. Just make sure you completely cool the chili first! No one likes condensation in your freezer meals — condensation leads to freezer burn. Yuck!
I invested in a bunch of individual glass airtight containers to portion out my freezer meals. This helps when I need a quick meal on the go!
No matter how you store your chili, you can leave it in your freezer for up to six months.
Make Ahead Tips
Dishes like my instant pot white chicken chili recipe are made for those quick nights when you need a hot dinner ASAP. But when every minute counts, I’ve found some ways to cut time!
Pre-chopping veggies always helps. You can store chopped veggies in your fridge for up to a week.
You can also pre-cook your chicken (not all the way through!) and store in the fridge for up to four days.
Once you’re ready to cook, put all your segments together and get busy!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
My instant pot white chicken chili tastes even better the next day! I love making it for lunches during the week. Portion it out, seal the containers, and the eat for up to four days.
I love switching up the toppings day by day too, so the soup always tastes different. Avocado one day, salsa the next — the options are endless!
If you’re like me, Soup Season (aka autumn) is a much-beloved time of year. Want more recipes? I got you, friend!
Can I Cook This In A Crockpot Instead?
I’ve yet to find an Instant Pot recipe that doesn’t transfer to the Crockpot! Crockpot chicken chili will make your whole house smell like garlicky chicken goodness.
Want the zesty twist? Crockpot white chicken chili is for you! Both go wonderfully with a side of crumbly cornbread.
Can I Use Leftover Chicken For This Recipe?
Yes indeed! I love the added layer of flavor that instant pot rotisserie chicken brings to a soup. If you have some deliciously fluffy buns to use, instant pot shredded chicken will warm your tummy and your soul.
Missing the flavors of summer? Instant pot BBQ chicken will have you dreaming of hot nights!
What Other Chicken Cuts Can I Use?
Instant Pots make the best chicken! I love the tenderness I get from instant pot chicken thighs. Got a big game coming up? Instant pot chicken wings are fall-off-the-bone good!
Or if you want to get adventurous, instant pot whole chicken will feed your family all week!
What Other Ingredients Can I Add To This Recipe?
Instant pot chicken and potatoes is a hearty traditional dish that will fill up even the hungriest tummies! On a similar note, instant pot chicken and dumplings give you fluffy, warm dumplings that beg you to eat them in front of a roaring fire.
Want something a bit lighter? Instant pot chicken and rice is for you! The grains of rice plump up into delicious little pillows of heaven.
Can I Make This With More Mexican Twist?
The jalapeno and poblanos aren’t enough for you? Instant pot chicken tortilla soup is always a favorite! The scrumptious flavors you’d expect from Mexican dishes with less spice than my instant pot white chicken chili recipe.
Want a dish that isn’t soup? Instant pot chicken tacos just need tortillas and toppings! You can get the same yummy effect from instant pot salsa chicken.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed and finely chopped
- 2 poblano chiles seeds and ribs removed and chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounces) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounces) Can corn, with juice
- 1 (10 ounces) Can Rotel diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavor-Better Than Bouillon, dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 (8 ounces) block cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cilantro, chopped
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- avocado, cut into cubes
- tomatoes, seeded and cut into small pieces
- Turn 6.5-quart Instant pot onto saute function. Add the vegetable oil. When the display reads "hot". Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, poblanos, and bell pepper, then saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pot and saute, stirring often, until all sides of the chicken pieces have cooked on the exterior and are white. (don't cook all the way through)
- Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, salt, and pepper, and continue to saute, stirring constantly, (so spices don't burn) for about 1 minute, or until spices become fragrant.
- Add the beans, corn, Rotel, chicken broth and dissolved Better Than Bouillon then stir to combine.
- Place the lid on and set the "steam release" knob to "sealing". Press the "Manual" button and set to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking cycle has completed, allow it to sit, undisturbed, and completely depressurize for 15 minutes.
- Switch the valve to the "venting" position to completely release steam before opening lid. Carefully remove the lid (there will likely still be remaining steam). Remove the chicken and set aside to a large bowl until cool enough to handle. Cut or shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces
- Turn the "saute" function on. Add the chicken, and cream cheese to the pot. Allow soup to cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cream cheese melts. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro, ladle into individual bowls and top with whatever toppings you'd like.
There are instant pot chicken recipes for every day of the week! Every flavor craving! Everything!
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup – Prime for any topping!
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala – Take on Indian tonight.
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore – Rustic perfection!
- Instant Pot Tikka Masala – Pairs best with toasted naan.
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken – Brightness for those dark nights!
My instant pot white chicken chili recipe is the dish you should reach for when you need something to wake up your sleepy autumn nights. I defy anyone to eat this dish without feeling brighter and zestier!
What toppings did you add to your soup? Let me know in the comments below!