Out of all my chicken recipes, chicken chili is one of my most popular. Add in the convenience of the slow cooker like in this crockpot chicken chili recipe, and you’ve got a winner-winner-chicken-dinner!
Cooked low and slow, this crockpot chicken meal has layer upon layer of flavor and is stuffed with beans, corn, tomato, and of course, chicken! As spicy chicken recipes go, this crockpot chicken chili is in the moderate zone, but it’s easy to adjust the heat to suit your tastes!
Fire up the slow cooker, and let’s make chili!
My crockpot chicken chili recipe has so much going for it. Here are the highlights!
- Cooking low and slow brings out TONS of flavor
- Hearty with lots of meat, beans, and veggies
- Easy to adjust to your spice preference
- Feeds a crowd
This is a super easy chili recipe. You don’t even have to precook the meat like you typically would in a ground chicken chili slow cooker recipe. Here are a few extra tips!
Cutting hot peppers: Most of the best chicken chili recipes call for some form of hot peppers. Remember the highest level of capsaicin (the stuff that burns like crazy) is in the ribs of the pepper. I highly recommend wearing gloves when handling the peppers.
Also, be sure to wash your cutting board and knife immediately after you finish. Above all, don’t touch your face while cutting peppers!
Adjusting the heat level: If you want to tone down the heat in this healthy crockpot chicken chili, I suggest decreasing the amount of the jalapeno or maybe back off on the chili powder a bit. However, I think this recipe has a nice kick without going overboard!
You can store this crockpot chicken chili in a tightly sealed container in the fridge. With the tomato and acid content, I suggest a glass bowl for storage.
Can You Freeze This?
I love to freeze chili in individual portions. They make a great grab and go lunch or quick supper! Cook as directed. After you cut up the chicken, turn it off and allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, you can transfer to freezer bags or storage containers. It freezes well for several months.
Easy White Chicken Chili Make Ahead Tips
The great thing about meals like easy white chicken chili is that they hold well in the fridge and often taste better the next day! This crockpot chicken chili recipe only improves with age. You can make it up to 48 hours ahead of time. You might need to add a bit of chicken broth to loosen it up a bit.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
According to USDA regulations, soups and stews, like this crockpot chicken chili recipe, will hold 3-4 days in the fridge.
Everyone has an opinion about what makes a good chili, which means anything goes! This crockpot chicken chili recipe is super simple, but here are a few ideas to change it up a bit!
Can I Cook This In An Instant Pot Instead?
You can absolutely turn this crockpot chicken chili recipe into a one-pot wonder just like my Instant Pot White Chicken Chili! Simply use the sautee function on the instant pot to cook the veggies. Then, follow the instructions and use the slow cooker setting for the rest!
Can I Cook This With Shredded Chicken Instead?
To transform this recipe into shredded chicken crock pot chicken chili, you can easily shred the chicken breasts instead of cutting them into cubes. You could also make slow cooker shredded chicken chili by using cooked chicken, which will decrease the cook time by a couple of hours.
Can I Turn This Into A Chicken Soup?
If you wanted to turn this into more of a crockpot chicken soup than a chili, you could add extra chicken broth. I like a crockpot chicken noodle soup for the ultimate convenience and down-home chicken noodle taste!
Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is a kissing cousin to this crockpot chicken chili recipe. It’s another fantastic option if you’re craving chicken soup.
What Other Crockpot Recipes Can I Make With Chicken?
The crockpot does a wonderful job breaking down the chicken into tender, shreddable goodness that can be turned into so many different delicious creations. Some of my favorites are crockpot bbq chicken, crock pot chicken fajitas, and crockpot orange chicken. They’re all super easy and of course, super yummy!
What Other Chicken Chili Can I Make?
This crockpot chicken chili recipe is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to chicken chili recipes! Chicken chili comes in endless variations! My traditional red chicken chili recipe has just the right amount of spice in a tomato-based sauce.
I like changing it up completely with white bean chicken chili. It’s thick, hearty, and delicious. While red and white are the most common variations, there’s even a green chicken chili!
Crockpot Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed and chopped
- 2 medium poblano chilis, seeded, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely seeded, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- sour cream
- jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, green bell pepper, poblanos, and jalapeno, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cumin, coriander, oregano, and chili powder over the vegetables. Stir in tomato paste. Saute, stirring constantly until spices are fragrant about 1-2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula transfer the mixture to the bottom of a large crockpot.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, beans, Worchestershire sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and stir. Nestle chicken breast into the mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken to a plate. Cover chili and set on low. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch chunks. Return cut chicken to chili and stir to combine. (If stew is too thick, it can be thinned with chicken broth or water) Ladle into individual bowls add toppings and serve.
Crockpot chicken magic goes far beyond chili recipes. Check out these crockpot chicken recipes for hearty, family-friendly meals!
- Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes – Meat + Potatoes= YUM
- Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing – The entire meal in one pot!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore – A humble hunter’s stew transformed into a feast fit for a king
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken – Classic buffalo taste with just the right amount of heat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – Tender chicken in a creamy curry sauce
This crockpot chicken chili has it all- convenience, easy prep, and tons of flavor. It’s a wonderful option for a fix it and forget it a meal on a chilly day. I know you and your family are going to enjoy it!
Be sure to leave me a comment below!