Our Jalapeno Bacon Cornbread is moist, tender and loaded with bacon and jalapeno. Perfect anytime you need a smoky cornbread with just a little spicy!
I love cornbread! Honestly, I could eat it virtually every day and be a very happy person. I bake it all year long, regardless of the season. Even in the hottest, dog days of summer, the one thing I’ll turn on my oven for is to bake cornbread.
This recipe is a variation of my favorite, sweet old-fashioned cornbread. One thing that I love about this recipe is that it does not use buttermilk as an ingredient. Listen, I have other recipes that include buttermilk and I love them too! It’s just nice to have a recipe like this in the ready for those occasions there’s no buttermilk in the fridge! It’s moist and tender and the bacon and jalapeno are fabulous in it!
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 12 inch skillet, add chopped bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and cooked through. Remove cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil, melted butter, bacon, and jalapeno and mix well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
More Corn Recipes
- Scalloped Corn – Great side dish with the right amount of smokey bacon, crunchy bread top.
- Mexican Corn Salad – The perfect mix of tangy, sweet, and savory tastes in a side dish!
- Corn Cakes – Easy side dish with just a few ingredients that will take you back to grandmas kitchen!
Recipes to Partner with Jalapeno Cornbread….
- 15 Bean Soup – Grandma’s Easy Old Fashioned Recipe for 15 Bean Soup is perfect for cool winter nights. Warm, Thick and Hearty with a punch of smoky flavor in every bite!
- Hoppin John Recipe –Break out a batch of our sassy bacon infused Hoppin John Recipe. The “Cajun holy trinity” ramps up the flavor, with an assist from the black-eyed peas!
- Crock Pot Pork Chops – feature bone-in pork chops, smothered in mushroom and onion gravy, and cooked to tender, juicy perfection!