I LOVE a good skillet meal.
If it has meatballs and pasta in it……..
Oh My Gosh, I’m in!!!
Flavors concentrated in one pan, fewer dishes to wash, and they’re generally not too complicated.
This recipe is wonderful not only because of all of these reasons, it’s also fantastically delicious!
I would describe this dish as a combo of Swedish meatball, homey noodles, and a generous amount of sauce.
The whole fam was totally crazy for this meal. You can’t believe how many requests I get to make it again.
Believe me, since it made its first debut on our dinner table, I’ve already made it again half a dozen times.
Just a few things you might find helpful….. Don’t overcook the meatballs or they will be dry.
If you can, roll the meatballs the night before you’re making this so that dinner gets on the table faster.
If the sauce gets too thick just thin it out with extra chicken broth or water.
I like to cook this recipe in a cast iron skillet.
To get the tight cover on this skillet the recipe calls for, I covered the skillet with aluminum foil.
I bent it down well over the two spouts and weighed that down with a lid from another pan slightly larger than the cast iron skillet I was using.
After seeing an episode regarding Teflon and high heat on Good Eats from Alton Brown, I try not to use my Teflon pans with the high heat required to get the oil smoking called for in this recipe.
Skillet Meatballs and Noodles in Creamy Herb Sauce
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 5.2 Ounces Package Boursin Cheese with Garlic and Herbs, Crumbled
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Black Pepper
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 Ounces Egg Noodles
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chives Finely Chopped
- Combine beef, 5 tablespoons Boursin cheese, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in medium bowl and knead gently until combined. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook meatballs until well browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer meatballs to plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
- Cook onion in reserved fat until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add broth, noodles, and wine and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often until pasta begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through and noodles are al dente, about 4 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining Boursin cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
More Noodle Recipes!
Grandma’s Chicken and Noodle Casserole– It is a super creamy, cheesy pan of deliciousness that is quick and easy to put together!
Beef and Noodles – Classic comfort food, warm, hearty, beefy, and absolutely scrumptious beef and noodles.
Dragon Noodle Recipe -Soft lo mein tossed with tender chicken and crisp veggies served with a scorching sauce, perfect to spice up your dinner table!
Source: Cook’s Illustrated