Tamale Pie, where have you been? One bite sends my taste buds soaring and takes me back to my childhood. I missed you – come back soon!
When was the last time you had tamale pie? It’s been a really long time for me. I don’t know why.
When I was growing up, this was my all time favorite thing my mom made. I loved it when she served this for dinner! Well, this baby has gone back into my regular family dinner rotation!
More Pie Recipes:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 20 ounces ground beef
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen
- 1 (15-ounces) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounces) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or more to taste
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a cast-iron skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and cook the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until they are soft or for about 7 minutes. Add the beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Remove any excess fat. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Make the topping
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk all the topping ingredients together. Drop the corn topping over the filling and then spread it out evenly. Loosely tent top of the skillet with aluminum foil.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
Source: Adapted From Texas Home Cooking and Better Homes and Gardens
Lenianne cooke says
going to buy ingredients and try it … sounds delicious. thank you.
Hope you enjoy this tonight, Lenianne
I've never had tamale pie! But I sure love the sound of this! I'll have to try it out.