What’s not to love? Chocolate. Pecans. Caramel….Who doesn’t love Turtles? Well, I do indeed, LOVE them and this cookie is a fabulous interpretation of a wonderful classic candy. Every component of this cookie is perfect The chocolate cookie is dense, chocolaty, and chewy. The Caramel is rich and buttery. The pecans top the whole thing off in more yumminess.
These are Killer delicious. I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am that I found this recipe. I will be making these often.
Source: America’s Test Kitchen
- All Purpose Flour - 1 Cup
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/3 Cup
- Salt - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature - 1/2 Cup
- Sugar - 2/3 Cup
- Large Egg, Separated - 1
- Large Egg White - 1
- Whole Milk - 2 Tablespoons
- Vanilla Extract - 1 Teaspoon
- Pecans, Finely Chopped - 1 1/4 Cup
- Soft Caramel Candies - 14
- Heavy Cream - 3 Tablespoon
- Semi Sweet Chocolate - 2 Ounces
- White Crisco - 1 Teaspoon
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk egg whites in bowl until frothy. Place pecans in another bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, then roll in pecans. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using 1/2-teaspoon measure, make indentation in center of each ball. Bake until set, about 12 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
- Microwave caramels and cream in bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Once cookies are removed from oven, gently re-press existing indentations. Fill each with 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture. Cool 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- As cookies cool, make glaze. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt 2 ounces of chocolate with Crisco for 45 seconds. Stir. if not completely melted, continue to microwave in 10 second, 50% power intervals. When cookies are cooled drizzle warm glaze with fork over cookies.