An amazing 7 layer salad is like a multipurpose Trojan horse! It’s one of those beautiful salad recipes that can feed a ravenous crowd and double as one of your Easter side dishes too. Did I mention that it’s simple and nutritious? Dinner salad recipes make the perfect side dishes in the warm weather months and this one is no exception!
Its traditionally served in a big glass bowl to display its beautiful deliciousness. Unlike Mediterranean salad, the ingredients in this recipe are layered instead of mixed. It’s even more nutritious than broccoli salad and easier to make than pea salad.
You’ve gotta’ check this out!
- My recipe feeds six, so you don’t need to worry about paring back portions.
- This salad is like a culinary Trojan horse! By the time your kids realize they have consumed lettuce, cauliflower, tomato, onions, and peas, it will be TOO LATE!
- Healthy festive salad as yummy as it looks
How To Make 7 Layer Salad Recipe
My salad comes together in three easy steps in no time at all. Just prep and layer the main ingredients, whisk together the dressing, then sprinkle on the toppings. Presto! Who knew you could count to seven with just 1, 2, 3?!
Serving a gorgeous layered salad allows you to adjust ingredient components to your liking.
Layering: If you are short on one ingredient, or want to pack in a little extra of another, here is a layering pro-tip.
Stuff the circumference of the bowl with a thicker layer of each ingredient, then fill the center with whatever you please! This gives the illusion of perfect layers while letting you adjust each component as necessary.
Egg: This layer salad is an absolutely gorgeous side dish so you want your boiled eggs to be cooked perfectly – no green around the center, no chunks of white missing. Here’s how to get that done. Bring eggs to a rolling boil. Then turn the heat off, cover, and let sit for 7-9 minutes.
Also, add a tablespoon of baking soda to the water. It increases the alkalinity which makes the eggs easier to peel. You’ll be left with scrumptiously pretty perfectly boiled eggs.
Cauliflower rice: This less familiar (but keto-friendly!) ingredient is made from cauliflower florets. It has a mild and slightly nutty flavor and the ideal proportions of lightness and stickiness. You can even make it yourself in the food processor!
Tools to Make
Serving up this salad is a walk in the park because it doesn’t take any special gadgets at all. The main thing you want to have is a big beautiful glass salad bowl to display your creativity and even that is optional!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Your salad will stay fresh and yummy for up to 3 days when stored properly. You’ll want to keep it tightly covered and this thing should literally live in the fridge. Now, don’t be surprised if it gets all gobbled up on the serving day. I rarely have any leftovers with this recipe.
Can You Freeze This?
This light-n-lively salad is crafted with crisp lettuce, fresh summer veggies, and a homemade mayo-based dressing. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t freeze well at all.
Make Ahead Tips
One of the most admirable qualities of this gorgeous layered salad (besides using up what’s on hand) is that it’s best made ahead of time. You’ll want everything to chill for at least a couple of hours before serving.
So, I actually recommend making this layered salad the day before you want to serve it.
This salad is the perfect plus one tag-along for any backyard barbecue or summer potluck but it’s great for large family gatherings too. I like to serve it alongside my buttermilk roasted chicken or million dollar chicken. The flavors really tend to complement each other.
7 Layer Salad
- 6 cups spring mix lettuce
- 2 (10-ounce) container grape tomatoes cut in half
- 8 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen petite green peas thawed
- 1 small red onion
- 1 (16-ounce) bag cauliflower rice
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large glass bowl, layer all the salad ingredients, in the order listed, one at a time in rows.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth. Spread the dressing over the top layer of salad, sealing the edges. Sprinkle the top with cheese and bacon. Cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Toss and serve.
Salads are a fantastic summer snack, side dish, or even meal and this 7 layer salad is no exception. Here are some other awesome salad recipes you may want to rotate into your warm-weather menu plan.
- Tuna Pasta Salad – There’s just something about tuna and pasta……
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad – Combining two of America’s favorite flavors.
- Marinated Tomato Salad – Bright jovial flavors to wake up those taste buds.
- Chicken Salad with Grapes – Hands down the best chicken salad I’ve had.
- BLT Pasta Salad – All the scrumptious flavor, no bread.
- Caesar Salad – Better than your favorite restaurant’s and easy too!
This amazing 7 layer salad is a bright refreshing option to dress up any table and its delicious too. Besides that, it only takes 15 minutes to throw together and that’s only because you have to boil eggs. It’s a nutritious summer salad that doubles as eye candy and it makes you look like a Rockstar chef!
This not only one of my favorite summer salad recipes but it’s my go-to in a pinch and I can’t wait for you to try it!