Our easy Buttermilk Roasted Chicken recipe is marinated in a simple buttermilk mixture then roasted in the oven. Allowing the chicken to marinate for 1-2 days produces an unbelievable flavor throughout the chicken, not just on the surface, and creates chicken that’s extremely moist and tender.
When you think of the combination of chicken and buttermilk I bet you think of some type of fried chicken.
Well, I know before I made this chicken recipe, I sure did.
I’d heard of buttermilk roasted chicken, but for some strange reason, I hadn’t tried it yet.
PIN THIS TO YOUR CHICKEN OR DINNER BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
This recipe is AHHH-MAZING.
It has quickly shot to the top of my family’s most requested dinner list!
I made it twice in one week when I first tried it.
The buttermilk marinade makes this chicken moist, super flavorful, and juicy!
The rosemary adds a lovely herbaceousness to the overall flavor and the rest of the seasonings are spot on!
I will be making this buttermilk roasted chicken often.
It’s a given it will be served for Sunday Suppers.
I think it’ll also be great for entertaining.
Who doesn’t love a great piece of roasted chicken?
Recipe Notes For Buttermilk Roasted Chicken:
Marinade: The most important thing you have to do to make this buttermilk roasted chicken a success is planning ahead and marinating it for 2 days.
That gives the marinade enough time to really penetrate the chicken breast and also tenderizes it.
Especially if you want to have white meat chicken.
My family loves white meat chicken so it’s what I serve most often.
If your family likes dark meat, I think thighs and legs would work out really well.
If you use dark meat, after roasting the chicken for 45 minutes at 400, turn down the oven to 350 and continue to cook until chicken is done and juices run clear about 7-10 minutes.
Buttermilk Roasted Chicken
- 6 Chicken Breast Halves Bone In
- 3 Cups Buttermilk Well Shaken
- 3/4 Cup-Divided Vegetable Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley Chopped (Optional)
- In a bowl, mix together buttermilk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, and honey until salt is dissolved.
- Divide the chicken pieces into 2- 1-gallon ziplock bags. Pour half of the buttermilk mixture in each bag. Press out as much air as possible and seal bags. Place on a rimmed dish or plate in case bag leaks. Refrigerate overnight or preferably for 2 days. Flip bag halfway through marinating time.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Take the chicken out of the ziplock bags and place on a wire rack so any extra marinade will drip off. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and place the chicken in a single layer on the pan. Drizzle chicken with remaining oil. Roast chicken at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, then turn off the oven, and allow the chicken to continue to cook (just in the remaining heat-don't open the door) for 7-10 minutes more or until chicken is done.
- Allow chicken to rest for about 7-10 minutes then serve.
More Chicken Recipes…
Parmesan Crusted Chicken – One of the most delicious, quick and easy chicken recipes EVER!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Recipe-This bubbling beauty is everything you want in a creamy, cheesy casserole and a dazzling dinner dish!
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken -zesty chicken is tender, moist and juicy and loaded with yummy fresh flavors
Shoyu Chicken – Our Shoyu Chicken is a succulent, tender dish that highlights aromatic flavors. Fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender, chicken has never been easier!
Million Dollar Chicken – lives up to its name, with rich satisfying flavors – a golden roasted skin and juicy – tender meat!
Source: Slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson via The New York Times