Amazing White Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Sour Cream White Sauce–No Soup. It is easy to make and off the charts delicious!
Everyone in my family loves it! I could serve it 7 days a week and there would be smiling faces all around the dinner table if I was serving it.
But these enchiladas are even better than regular Mexican food. Well, of course, Yes, they are indeed Mexican inspired food, but imagine the best, most delicious imaginable, super creamy and Cheesy to boot, Mexican food!!!!!
This recipe is a 10 star outta 10-star recipe. Everyone in my family loved, loved, loved it. It’s easy to put together and ridiculously yummy. The sauce is thick and rich and not at all spicy. Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas in a creamy white sauce, what’s not to love?
SAVE THESE WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
TO YOUR DINNER BOARD FOR LATER
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
Recipe Notes For White Chicken Enchiladas:
Rotisserie Chicken: I used a rotisserie chicken in this recipe. I love that the chicken has lots of flavors and the convenience factor is huge for me.
Tortillas: The recipe calls for using flour tortillas, but if you prefer, you can switch them with corn tortillas. I used fajita sized tortillas.
Green Chilies: I used mild green chilies because my hubby is a wimp when it comes to spice. I buy the canned Ortega chilies already chopped. Feel free to spice up your dish by adding spicy green chilies instead of the mild ones. If you like it really spicy I’d consider adding a second can.
Seasoning: I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper to this recipe. The chicken broth I used was very flavorful and had a lot of salt already in it. The chicken was also well seasoned and obviously, the cheese had a good amount of salt.
**WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT THIS RECIPE**
- Honestly, they’re one of my all-time favorite Tex-Mex recipes. They’re better than any restaurant enchiladas (imho <3)
- They’re easy enough for a weeknight meal.
- The SAUCE! Love dat SAUCE!
White Chicken Enchiladas With Sour Cream Sauce
Amazing White Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Sour Cream White Sauce--No Soup. These are easy to make and off the charts delicious! Super Cheesy, Lots of Chicken and a Creamy Rich Sauce!
- 8-10 Small Flour Tortillas
- 3 Cups Chicken Shredded or Chopped
- 3 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded-Divided
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1-4 Ounce Can Diced Green Chilies Mild
- 2-3 Tablespoons Green Onions sliced
Spray a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine chicken and 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Fill tortillas with this mixture and roll each one up then place seam side down in prepared pan.
Melt the butter in a skillet. Sprinkle flour over melted butter and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute to remove the flour taste. Remove the skillet from heat and whisk in broth. Place back on heat and cook until the mixture has thickened and is bubbly. Cool sauce for 3-5 minutes. (Don't skip this step- if the sauce is too hot and you add the sour cream it will curdle it-yuck!) Add sour cream and chilies and stir until sauce is smooth and sour cream is completely dissolved.
Pour sauce over enchiladas and add remaining cheese over top. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until enchiladas are heated through and sauce is bubbly. Turn on the broiler and broil until top is nicely golden. Top with chopped green onions and serve.
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.
More Enchilada Recipes!
- Chicken Enchiladas– Shredded Chicken loaded with lots of chicken, gooey cheese, sour cream and mild green chilies!
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas – These have a perfect touch of sour and sweet!
- Shrimp Enchiladas – Succulent shellfish and a rich, creamy sauce make these Shrimp Enchiladas truly something special – a Tex-Mex staple transformed into good old-fashioned comfort food.
- Shredded Beef Enchiladas – Our Shredded Beef Enchiladas are unbelievably delicious enchiladas loaded with tender, juicy, braised and Shredded Beef, lots of gooey Cheese and an authentic Enchilada Sauce!
More Chicken Recipes…
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole– Always a hearty family favorite, Chicken Tortilla Casserole makes the most of convenient ingredients while packing tons of rich flavor in every creamy bite!
- Crack Chicken– You’ll be addicted to Crack Chicken faster than you can say bacon, ranch, and cheese! This creamy dish can morph to sandwiches, dips, pasta, or even soup.