If you’re looking for a simple meal with truckloads of flavor to add to your dinner rotation, let me introduce my cheesy honey lime chicken enchiladas recipe. These refreshing little gems are easier than traditional enchiladas, with tasty convenience built right into the recipe.
Listen, I’m crazy about Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes. While these enchiladas aren’t traditional, they are seriously delicious. These are a regular in our family dinner rotation and a personal favorite of my Dad’s (the original picky eater!). This is the perfect recipe when you want something a little unique and super easy to put together.
Want to try more of my Mex and Tex Mex favorites? White chicken enchiladas have been one of the most popular recipes on my site for many years and sour cream chicken enchiladas are a close second! My 5-minute enchilada sauce will blow you away with the ease with which it’s made and the incredible flavor. You’ll never buy store-bought again!
Whatever recipe you try, I guarantee that you’re going to L-O-V-E these!
Bring your appetite, my friends…we’re making enchiladas!
- Lively refreshing flavor
- Rotisserie chicken
- Lotsa’ Monterey Jack
This honey lime chicken enchiladas recipe is built on lotsa flavor and simple convenience.
Chicken – I love using rotisserie chicken for this recipe because it simplifies things and it’s already wonderfully seasoned. Of course, if you’ve got grilled or baked leftovers they’ll work just fine too.
You’ll want to shred your chicken before marinating.
Marinade – At least 30 minutes is recommended, and your chicken will taste great. However, I like to mix mine up in the morning and let the chicken sit until it’s time to get dinner ready. The extra time really boosts the flavor factor.
Cheese – There’s lotsa’ cheese in this honey lime chicken enchiladas recipe, just the way we like ‘em. Monterey Jack to be exact. So, here’s the thing.
I’m often in a hurry and just grab a bag of the pre-shredded stuff. It’s just easier.
But if you want yours to be suuuper creamy then take the time to shred your own. Pre-shredded cheese contains added anti-caking agents to it to keep it from clumping together.
Garnish – I love to garnish my honey lime chicken enchiladas with fresh cilantro and sliced green onions when they come out of the oven. It adds that extra pop of Mexican fresh and just a little crunch. It’s sooo good!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Your honey lime chicken enchiladas recipe will stay fresh and yummy in the fridge for up to 3 days but I’ve never had any last past day 2. The family goes searching these things out!
Depending on how much is left, you can either transfer to an airtight container or just cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap. Let your enchiladas cool completely (not more than 2 hours) before refrigerating.
Can You Freeze This Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas?
Yes and no. Technically, some components can be safely frozen, but the creamy enchilada sauce could separate in the freezer. Personally, I feel they are best served fresh.
Make Ahead Tips
If I’m prepping ahead, then I just fill the enchiladas and freeze them without the sauce. Wrap them tightly and remove as much air as possible before freezing.
Slow thaw overnight in the fridge the day before cooking and mix up the special enchilada sauce fresh for best results.
This honey lime chicken enchiladas recipe pair nicely with so many sides. I love them with my Mexican rice or beans. I also really like the way the enchilada’s vibrant flavor brings out the best in fresh veggies.
- Use shrimp. Swap the chicken for shrimp and serve up some amazing shrimp enchiladas they’ll never forget.
- Make your own green chile sauce using canned green chiles. Grab your favorite canned green chiles and whip up a cheesy Mexican chicken casserole or try a full-flavored chile relleno casserole instead.
- Use corn tortillas instead. Swap the flour tortillas for corn or just make chicken tortilla casserole they’ll request over and over.
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken And Rice Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 fully cooked rotisserie chicken shredded
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dried chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound Monterey jack cheese shredded, divided
- 1 (16 ounces) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- flour tortillas
- fresh cilantro optional
- sliced green onions optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the honey, lime juice, chili powder, and garlic; toss with the shredded chicken. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, combine the enchilada sauce and the cream. Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Fill the flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese and roll, reserving 1 cup of cheese for topping. Place the enchiladas seam side down into the prepared pan. Pour the remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro or green onions just before serving.
Fans Also Made: