Chicken spaghetti casserole is one of the tastiest throw-together chicken pasta recipes in my arsenal. At the end of a long hard day when hungry tummies are rumbling, chicken casserole recipes come together quickly and taste amazing!
Yummy pasta recipes have long been a staple in the kitchen, and they help make wholesome chicken recipes nutritious flavor-heavy convenience meals. When you can toss them in the oven and settle in for the evening, life just gets a little better!
Change your dinner philosophy with this creamy chicken spaghetti casserole recipe and fill those hungry tummies! Let’s get cookin’…
This chicken spaghetti casserole recipe has a creamy cheesy sauce blend tempered with the flavor of a delicious multi-spice concoction. It’s a quick and easy way to nurture your family’s love of spaghetti and change up your dinner routine at the same time. Here are some other reasons to love it!
- Wholesome nutritious meal
- Totally doable on a busy weeknight
- Unique crave-worthy flavor
- Cheesy change to tomato-based spaghetti
- Great bring-along for potlucks
Making this chicken spaghetti recipe casserole is an easy way to put the sparkle back in dinner. People often assume that chicken spaghetti is made with a tomato-based sauce but that doesn’t have to be the case. Sit back and read on to see how to create the most amazing dreamy creamy chicken spaghetti casserole recipe that will satisfy the heartiest appetites.
Success depends on techniques, even simple ones. For instance, be sure to remove your roux from the heat when you add your milk/beer base to thicken up the sauce. Leaving it on the heat too long can scorch the flour and completely change the flavor of your sauce.
Speaking of which, you’ll want to sauce your spaghetti pasta while it’s hot. The heat helps the sauce evenly coat and stick to the warm starchy pasta for a superior restaurant-style flavor.
Chicken Spaghetti Ingredients Notes
The right ingredients are vital to the intense robust flavor of this recipe. Here’s what you need to know about the stuff in this incredible dish!
Spaghetti pasta – Be sure to salt your pasta water. I like to use 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. The spaghetti pasta will absorb the salted pasta water as it cooks, essentially flavoring the pasta from the inside out.
Veggies – You must sauté your veggies, preferably in butter. Sautéing veggies before adding them to recipes helps coax out their sweeter more mellow flavors and combats bitterness. Besides, it’s the first step in the recipe.
Roux – Taking the time to heat your spices and flour for just a minute or two before moving to the next step makes you look like a Rockstar in the kitchen.
First, it perks up your spices for an aromatic complexity you won’t believe. Second, it gets rid of that ‘flour’ flavor so your sauce tastes like you want it to.
Cheese – So here’s the thing. There is something to be said for the convenience of pre-shredded cheese. It just works!
But, if you want a super creamy sauce for this spaghetti casserole, then consider shredding cheese off a block. Pre-shredded cheeses typically have anticoagulants and stabilizers added to them which does affect their melting characteristics.
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Storing Tips
Storing this is super simple. Once those hungry tummies are satisfied and everyone is feeling all warm and fuzzy, you can take an inventory of your cheesy chicken spaghetti casserole recipe. If there are leftovers, they’ll need to go into the fridge in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze This?
So, here’s the thing. Cheese sauce can sometimes be as finicky as pasta in arctic temperatures. If you must freeze, it’s best to only freeze the homemade sauce and make fresh pasta when you’re ready to throw it in the oven.
Cheese sauce expands in the freezer, so leave room for expansion in the freezer-safe bag/container. It freezes best in the colder temperatures of a deep freezer and you’ll need to mix it well upon thawing. If there is separation, it may help to add just a little cream to retrieve that creamy texture again.
Chicken Spaghetti Bake Make Ahead Tips
Making a chicken spaghetti bake ahead casserole can totally simplify a crazy busy schedule. There isn’t a lot of work involved in getting this chicken spaghetti casserole recipe into the oven, so it only takes a few minutes. Using rotisserie chicken and pre-shredded cheese adds flavor and makes things even simpler.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
This recipe will stay fresh and yummy in the fridge for up to 4 days, if nobody knows its in there. Once people find it though, it tends to get gobbled up!
Serving this chicken spaghetti casserole recipe just like it is usually made for an awesome meal. However, you can make some subtle changes that spice things up in the most convenient ways. Here are a couple of simple suggestions.
- Add pre-cooked crumbled bacon for an extra savory flavor enhancer
- Try adding chopped ham for a play on chicken cordon bleu
- Add a crunchy bread crumb topping for multiple textures
- Toss in some frozen peas or broccoli to sneak in some veggies
How Can I Make This Into An Italian Chicken Spaghetti Inspired Dish?
This chicken spaghetti casserole recipe is an Italian inspired dish that is near and dear to my heart. I’m a huge fan of Italian cuisines like Olive Garden chicken alfredo and chicken Florentine pasta. If you feel the same way, you’re definitely going to love this dish!
Can I Add Broccoli?
Absolutely, broccoli just seems to work with chicken and pasta. Instead of adding broccoli to this recipe, perhaps you’d enjoy chicken broccoli alfredo. It’s like a chicken broccoli pasta with a creamy dreamy twist!
What Other Types Of Pasta I Can Use For This Recipe?
Chicken spaghetti casserole is designed to be made with – well – spaghetti pasta. You can use other types of pasta, but it just wouldn’t be the same. If you want the pasta to be the star of the show, try making chicken tortellini or chicken alfredo stuffed shells instead of 86-ing the ‘spaghetti’.
Can I Make This With Cajun Twist?
I just love Cajun chicken but not in my chicken spaghetti casserole recipe! I’m a huge fan of that robust sauce just the way it is. If you prefer a Cajun chicken pasta dish with a little heat, then try making Cajun chicken alfredo instead. It may be just what you’re after.
Can I Make This Into A Lasagna Instead?
Okay, now we may be taking things just a little too far. You can’t really make lasagna out of chicken spaghetti casserole but there are some great chicken lasagna recipes you can try. Buffalo chicken lasagna is one of my favorite dishes and it’s got some crazy intense flavor!
Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1/2 cup butter,- divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups Monterey Pepper Jack cheese, - divided shredded
- 4 cups chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 11X14 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook spaghetti in well-salted water according to package instructions just to al dente. Drain pasta well then adds back to pasta pot.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter and saute onion, garlic, poblano, and jalapeno over medium-high until onion is translucent but not brown.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and melt. When butter begins to bubble, sprinkle flour, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano over the top and whisk over medium heat until evenly combined. Cook, stirring constantly, until spices become fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and slowly whisk in milk and beer. Return to medium heat and cook until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken. Reduce heat to low and stir in Worcestershire Sauce, chili sauce, salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 cups Monterey Pepper Jack cheese.
- Pour sauce over pasta in the pot, add chicken then toss to coat evenly. Pour into the prepared baking dish, sprinkle the remaining Monterey pepper jack and cheddar over the top. Bake in the preheated oven until heat through and bubbly, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
This chicken spaghetti casserole recipe is a wholesome nutritious convenience that satisfies hunger and comes together quickly. It has a rich robust flavor and a flexible recipe that is hard to beat. You can never have too many chicken and pasta recipes so here are some of my other favorites for you to try.
- Chicken Carbonara – A rich creamy chicken pasta that comes together quickly.
- Chicken Alfredo – Bring out that hungry inner child in a few simple steps.
- Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole – You’ll never look at Chicken Tetrazzini the same way after this!
- Chicken Fettuccine – A simple wholesome dinner any night of the week.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta – Satisfy even the pickiest palates with this yummy favorite!
Making this chicken spaghetti casserole recipe is the easiest way to change your spaghetti philosophy! It’s simple, pure and delicious in an unexpected way. Shine a new light on dinner and enjoy the deep rich flavors that come along with this dish.
Spaghetti will never be the same after this. Chicken spaghetti casserole is a family favorite and my house, and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if you feel the same way!