Let’s zest things up with my chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe! This pasta recipe is well-used and much-beloved in my household. How does it compare to other chicken spaghetti recipes? It has all the noodles, cheese, and juicy chicken you’d expect from truly hearty chicken recipes — but the twist that makes this dish mouth-wateringly unforgettable is Rotel!
Paired with some spicy cheese and creamy sauce, you’ll be wondering why all chicken pasta recipes can’t be this good!
Spray those baking sheets and preheat those ovens — it’s chicken spaghetti with Rotel time!
Every oven-baked chicken dish instantly earns a spot in my Favorite Recipes list, but this chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe is extra special!
- That spice! Rotel is so flavorful
- Belly-filling and hearty
- Perfect for chilly nights
- Make-ahead magic!
My chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe upholds the most sacred of all baked spaghetti rules: be easy without sacrificing flavor! I’ve laid out some tips to help make sure your dish comes out the best it can be.
Chicken Spaghetti Ingredients Notes
Cream Soup: When I’m in a pinch, I use canned cream of chicken soup in my chicken spaghetti — but if I have a few extra minutes, I love whipping up my own! Creamed soups are basically just thickened broth. Make a roux with flour, butter, and milk, then slowly add in chicken broth until you have the desired proportions. Yum!
Cheese, Please! Couldn’t find Pepper Jack Cheese, or just want to try something new? Pepper jack cheese is just Monterrey Jack cheese (the creamy white cheese popular in supermarkets) with chili peppers. Shred some Monterrey Jack and toss it in some chili powder or your favorite chopped peppers.
Coriander by any other name… Wanna know a secret that may shock you? When planted, coriander, the spice known for being tiny brown seeds, grows into cilantro! That’s right — they’re the same plant (which is why sometimes the two names are used interchangeably).
That’s why coriander is so often used in Mexican recipes. The flavor profile pairs wonderfully with dishes like my chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe!
Chicken Spaghetti Bake Storing Tips
Love filling your freezer with casseroles? Want to have chicken spaghetti bake for every day of the week? This baked spaghetti recipe is delicious many ways — but not be one you add to your frozen made-ahead meals roster. Read on!
Can You Freeze This?
While many casseroles are amazing frozen, my chicken spaghetti with Rotel is not one of them. Because it has such a thick, creamy sauce, the high temps of the freezer will wreak havoc on the structure. If you freeze it then thaw it, it’s a no no. The dairy in the sauce will separate, leaving you with a lumpy, unappetizing dish.
If you really want to freeze it, I suggest making everything except the cream sauce and freezing it. Then, when you’re ready to bake it, whip up the cream sauce, add it to your thawed goodies, and bake.
Spaghetti Casserole Make Ahead Tips
What chicken spaghetti casserole would be complete without some excellent make-ahead tips? My chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe comes together in four sections: the chicken, veggies, cream sauce, and spaghetti. This means you can make each section individually, store them, and combine when you’re ready for your spaghetti casserole!
I recommend making the chicken and veggies and storing them together in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to four days. The cream sauce will last for up to four days as well. The spaghetti is the only part I recommend making fresh, as refrigerated pasta can get stiff and sticky.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Once fully baked, my Spaghetti with Rotel recipe will keep in an airtight container for up to five days. After that, the pasta will absorb too much of the sauce, and you risk bacterial growth too.
I love dishing out casseroles into pre-portioned sizes so I have grab and go lunches all week!
What Other Types Of Cheese Can I Add To This Recipe?
Cheese and baked spaghetti go together like… well, like spaghetti and meatballs!
The famous pairing of Rotel and Velveeta is a perfect gateway into chicken spaghetti with Velveeta and cream of mushroom soup. Cheese creamy goodness! Rotel recipes with chicken and Velveeta are always sure to have your dinner guests cleaning their plates.
For a more subdued cheesy flavor, try my baked spaghetti with cream cheese. Is there a dish that cream cheese can’t improve? Nope!
Can I Cook This In An Instant Pot?
Instant Pot spaghetti is a wonderful time saver when weeknights get away from you. I love making instant pot spaghetti and meatballs too — especially using those frozen meatballs from the grocery! So simple, so yummy.
If you want to keep the creamy angle, try Instant Pot chicken alfredo. All the creamy dreamy goodness of my chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe, but taken up a notch!
What Other Types Of Pasta Can I Use?
Experimenting with different noodles is part of the fun of pasta cooking! Chicken fettuccine is always a delicious dish — the thickness of fettuccine noodles stand up so well to creamy sauces.
I am always the first one to scarf down plates of chicken tortellini when I make it. Those little clouds of cheesy filling in doughy purses are to die for!
And let’s not forget a classic, chicken alfredo stuffed shells. All the goodness of Chicken Alfredo in individually-portioned noodle boats. YUM!
Can I Make This With Mexican Twist?
Rotel is already toeing the line with Mexican food — might as well dive right in! Taco spaghetti is a much-demanded recipe in my house. Who doesn’t love tacos? Who doesn’t love spaghetti? Put them together, and magic happens!
On that note — Mexican spaghetti is the close cousin of Taco Spaghetti. All the same delicious Mexican flavors amped up!
If you love that sizzled chicken flavor, try chicken fajita pasta! My mouth waters just thinking about the tender grilled chicken, the sweet peppers, and of course, the cheese!
Can I Make This With Cajun Twist?
Cajun seasoning instantly adds a unique spicy twist to any dish! Cajun chicken alfredo is the zested-up version of alfredo. Just shake in those seasonings!
Want to spice up your next casserole? Cajun chicken pasta is just the treat! You’ll be craving a side of gumbo with this one!
Chicken Spaghetti With Rotel
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 4 raw chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel, drained
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook the pasta, in well-salted water according to package instructions. Drain pasta and dry out the pasta pot. Return pasta to pot.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper until pieces are evenly coated.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. When hot, add chicken in batches, allowing pan bottom to be visible between pieces, and brown on all sides. Remove chicken to a plate; set aside. Repeat with the remaining chicken and add more oil if needed.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet and saute onions and garlic, over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano, cumin, chili powder, and coriander and continue to saute until spices are fragrant about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, stir together Rotel, chicken soup, sour cream, and milk until evenly combined.
- Add chicken, onion mixture and soup mixture to pasta and toss well to combine. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with Pepper Jack. Place in preheated oven and cook until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted about 30 minutes.
For as many noodles as there are in the world, there’s a recipe to match! Want more spaghetti recipes? Check out these picks:
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti – All the best parts of Mac n’ Cheese with chicken!
- Spaghetti And Meatballs Recipe – The Italian classic in your kitchen.
- Crock Pot Spaghetti – Dump, set, forget!
- Spaghetti Pie – Pie for dinner — yes, please!
- Million Dollar Spaghetti – Shell out the cash for this crowd-pleaser.
My chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe is just waiting for you to fall in love with it! From the cheese to the spices to the deep, warm oven heartiness, it’s an all-around good meal.
How spicy do you like your dishes? Let me know in the comments!