Simple roasted broccoli just may become your new favorite way to prepare this healthy veggie! Quick and easy enough to prepare for a weeknight meal.
This easy Roasted Broccoli is my all-time favorite way to eat broccoli. Our simple, humble recipe just might become a surprise favorite for you too. If you look down at the recipe you’ll see that it couldn’t be simpler to make. It’s so simple, in fact, you might just pass it up, but I have to tell you, I think that would be a mistake…let me explain.
Something happens to veggies when you roast them. Oven roasting them really is just baking at a higher temperature. Simple enough…right?
When they cook at this higher temperature they caramelize and that’s a really good thing. It concentrates the flavors, brings out the natural sugars in food, and also gives the food a bit of a nutty flavor. The best part of caramelizing…you don’t have to add a bunch of ingredients to get the extra bonus flavor.
This recipe has two ingredients plus salt and pepper. Obviously, the freshness and the quality of the ingredients are super important because there are no other ingredients that are going to mask mediocre quality. I use extra virgin olive oil but feel free to use whichever type you prefer.
If you want more recipes for truly delicious vegetables your family will love, I hope you’ll try my Arkansas green beans, simple roasted peppers, (no peeling required!) Southern collard greens, and carrot salad next.
Roasted Broccoli Recipe Ingredients
- Oil: I like to use olive oil or avocado oil. Feel free to use any neutrally flavored oil.
- Broccoli: Try to use the freshest broccoli available.
- Salt + Pepper: I use standard table salt but I always use freshly ground pepper.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This roasted broccoli can be kept in the fridge for 3-5 days. It’s great to chop up and add to morning eggs, kids’ lunches, or a lunch salad. It’s delicious and blends perfectly with so many dishes.
- Can You Freeze This? It’s so much better fresh and takes very little time to prep that I only serve this fresh. Yes, you technically freeze it, but the compromise in texture isn’t worth freezing this dish in my humble opinion.
- Make-Ahead Tips: Simply prep the broccoli, toss it with oil, and store it in a resealable bag. When you’re ready to cook it, spread it out in a single layer on a baking sheet, add salt and pepper, and proceed with the recipe.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
How To Make Roasted Broccoli
Preheat the oven.
Drizzle the baking sheet with olive oil. Spread broccoli out on top of olive oil. With your hands turn broccoli a couple of times to coat with olive oil. Arrange broccoli in a single layer.
Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Roast the broccoli for 20-25 minutes or until broccoli is cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Add Lemon: You can use this as a base recipe and if you’d like you can add other ingredients to vary the dish. Simply add lemon zest to taste after it’s cooked.
- Add Garlic: You can toss it with peeled or unpeeled garlic. I like to peel the cloves and add them to the baking sheet whole.
- Make it Cheesy: Sprinkle broccoli with shredded parmesan cheese before roasting. Or try my kid’s favorite way to make it! Cook broccoli until tender, sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese over the top, and pop it back in the oven for about a minute just to barely melt it. This was a little tricky though because if you melted it just a wee bit too long it almost melted through the broccoli and most of the cheese ends up on the baking sheet.
More Yummy Veggie Sides!
- Fajita Veggies
- Paula Deen Corn Casserole
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Green Beans
- Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Scalloped Corn
- Sautéed Asparagus
- Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots
- Corn Pudding
Craving More Delicious Recipes?
I hope you’ll join our cooking family! Subscribe to Gonna Want Seconds and receive all our latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Absolutely free to you and we never share your email address.
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC).
- On a rimmed baking sheet (half sheet size works well), drizzle olive oil (2 tablespoons). Spread broccoli (8 cups) out on top of olive oil. With your hands turn broccoli a couple of times to coat with olive oil. Arrange broccoli in a single layer. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast broccoli in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until broccoli is cooked to desired tenderness and is caramelized on the side touching the pan.