Our Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a deliciously decadent side dish with its lusciously thick, from scratch cream sauce with a cheesy crunchy top! No soup here! This is sure to become a family favorite ♥
This Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is one of those side dishes that threatens to steal the spotlight from the main course. Its creamy sauce is the height of decadence! This is a from scratch recipe that includes making a roux. Don’t be intimidated though, it’s actually easier than it sounds! A lot of Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole Cream Mushroom Soup recipes use canned soup to make the cream base for this casserole, which is a great shortcut. However, this recipe’s sauce is simple to make from scratch, and the velvety rich texture and taste can’t be beaten!
Broccoli and cauliflower go together like peanut butter and jelly. This Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole coats each piece in a luscious sauce for delicious flavor in every bite.
Casseroles are the perfect side dish for just about any kind of meat. A Broccoli Cauliflower Bake is always a family favorite, and the delicious sauce ensures that even those finicky eaters won’t fuss about eating their veggies!
WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- The luscious cream sauce!
- Using frozen veggies saves chopping ♥
- A Delicious way to get your family to eat their veggies.
- The cheesy crunch from the topping!
SAVE THIS BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
TO YOUR SIDE DISH OR CASSEROLE BOARD FOR LATER
WE’D LOVE TO BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
We use frozen broccoli and cauliflower in this Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Casserole. You will also need garlic, onion, butter, and flour. The spices include salt, pepper, dried mustard, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Heavy cream, cheese, and breadcrumbs round out the list!
Can Fresh Vegetables Be Substituted?
Yes, absolutely. Just make sure you cut them into florets then steam them until they are al dente before proceeding with the recipe. Frozen vegetables Do Not need to be precooked, simply thawed then well drained.
How Do You Make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
You’ll begin by sauteing the garlic and onion in butter and mixing in the spices and flour to make the base for the roux. Add in the cream to complete the sauce. Stir in the veggies and transfer to the baking dish. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake!
Step By Step: How To Make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
1. Preheat oven. Lightly grease a baking dish. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter, cook onions and garlic.
2. Add in flour, salt, pepper, paprika, dried mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Whisk until smooth paste forms.
4. Remove skillet from heat and add the cream.
5. Whisk until the cream is smooth. Replace skillet to medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil while stirring constantly.
6. Add broccoli and cauliflower.
7. Mix until evenly coated.
8. Pour it into the prepared baking dish.
9. Sprinkle top with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. (full instructions below)
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
Our Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a deliciously decadent side dish with its lusciously thick, from scratch cream sauce with a cheesy crunchy top!
- 2 (16 Ounce) Package Frozen Broccoli, Thawed And Drained On Paper Towels
- 1 (16 Ounce) Package Frozen Cauliflower, Thawed And Drained On Paper Towels
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 3/4 Teaspoon Dried Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Dried Coarse Bread Crumbs
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Melt butter in a large skillet (large enough to later accommodate all the broccoli and cauliflower). Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and tender.
Add in flour, salt, pepper, paprika, dried mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk together until smooth paste forms. Cook mixture over medium heat for 1 minute.
Remove skillet from heat and whisk in cream whisking until mixture is smooth.
Replace skillet to medium heat and bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Add broccoli and cauliflower and mix to evenly coat.
Pour vegetable and cream mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle top of casserole evenly with cheese then bread crumbs.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until casserole is heated through to the center and edges are bubbly.
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.
Recipe Notes For Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole:
Low carb option: A Cauliflower and Broccoli Casserole is a great low-carb addition to the dinner table. Just leave off the breadcrumbs! Broccoli’s high-fiber and antioxidants give you added health benefits on top of being low-carb!
Reduced Fat Option: If you are looking for a Healthy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole, this recipe is very easy to lighten up! Swap chicken broth for the heavy cream and use low-fat cheese to decrease the calories while preserving a similar homemade cream sauce flavor. Another way to make this Broccoli Casserole healthy would be to decrease some of the cheese on top and use half and half instead of cream.
Ritz Cracker Variation: Making Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole with Ritz Crackers is a common variation on this recipe. We’ve gone with breadcrumbs, but if crackers are in the pantry, they work just as well! Just blitz them in the food processor or simply crush them in a resealable bag, air removed, with a rolling pin!).
How to Make Bread Crumbs:
- Toast 3 slices of sourdough bread.
- Generously butter each slice of toast immediately after toasting, while it’s hot then allow to cool completely to room temperature.
- Tear into large pieces and process the cooled pieces of toast in a food processor.
More Broccoli Love:
- Looking for a main dish Broccoli Casserole? Try our Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole! Chicken and rice join broccoli in a creamy, cheesy sauce that comes together in minutes, making it a great mid-week dinner!
- Of course, casseroles aren’t the only way to enjoy broccoli! Using the same techniques in this recipe, making homemade Cream of Broccoli Soup couldn’t be simpler with this step-by-step recipe!
- If you’re looking for a different way to fix broccoli other than a casserole, consider our Roasted Broccoli recipe! With just two simple ingredients, plus salt and pepper. Roasted Broccoli takes only moments to prepare and is the perfect side to almost any dinner!
Can You Make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole Ahead Of Time?
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a great make-ahead dish. You can make it the day before, just assemble as instructed but hold off on the breadcrumbs. Once it has cooled, cover and put in the fridge. When you’re ready, top with bread crumbs and bake according to directions (increase the baking time if it’s coming straight from the fridge).
How Do You Freeze Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
Follow the directions for this Broccoli Cauliflower Recipe as written until you get to the breadcrumbs. It’s best if you put them on just before you put it in the oven. Put the casserole in a freezer safe/oven safe pan and after it is completely cooled, wrap tightly with a layer or two of cling wrap. Then, add a layer of foil.
A couple of things to note- when you mix the broccoli and cauliflower in the sauce, remove it from the heat immediately. You don’t want it to cook much before freezing, so the veggies don’t get mushy. Also, don’t rush the wrapping. If you wrap and freeze before it is completely cool, your sauce will separate, and the texture will be off!
To reheat- remove the cling wrap and foil. Top with bread crumbs and cook as directed until heated through.
What Do You Serve With Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole?
This rich and creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole goes well with baked chicken or pork. It’s also an excellent addition to a Sunday supper like a roast or a ham. It’s also perfect for any kind of potluck, and it often makes a starring appearance at our Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter spread!
More Delicious Vegetable Side Dishes:
- Scalloped Corn
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- Sweet Corn Casserole
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Corn Pudding
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham