Our Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes make for an easy cheesy family feast! Ingredients are dumped into your slow cooker, no extra prep or fuss.
Crock pot cheesy potatoes? More like crockpot party potatoes! If you are on the go this week and in need of a “set it and forget it” sort of recipe, look no further. This satisfying side is made with little more effort than what is required to dump 8 ingredients in a crock pot and ignore it for a few hours!
And what’s more, the result could feed a small army. Filling and flavor intensive, this party in a crock pot may just become a household favorite. Seriously: cheddar, butter, sour cream…oh my. If any of your diners lacked a craving for rich, creamy potatoes beforehand, crock pot cheesy potatoes will immediately resolve that little problem.
I will tell you more about making and storing the recipe below, but I doubt you will have any leftovers to contend with! If you enjoy these slow cooker cheesy potatoes as much as I predict, give our Ranch Potatoes (coming soon) or Potatoes au Gratin a try!
What I love most about this recipe:
- Crock pot cheesy potatoes require virtually NO prep time!
- The end result is fiber full and calcium rich!
- Cheesy potatoes are instantly filling for hungry families on the go.
- They’re the perfect comfort food on a cold night or during a stressful time!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes?
Make crockpot cheesy potatoes with real potatoes, condensed soup, sour cream, finely chopped onion, melted butter, salt, pepper, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. The potatoes used are in cubed hash brown form, so this recipe is often called “crockpot cheesy hashbrowns” as well.
How Do You Make Cheesy Crock Pot Potatoes?
To make this dish, combine all your ingredients in a crock pot, cook for a few hours, then sprinkle with some extra cheese. That’s it—as simple as advertised! Cheesy potatoes crock pot style will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
SAVE THESE CROCKPOT CHEESY POTATOES
TO YOUR SIDE DISH OR DINNER BOARD FOR LATER
WE’D LOVE TO BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
The Best Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- 1 (10-3/4 Ounce) Can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Undiluted
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Melted
- 3/4 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1-32 Ounces Package Frozen Cubed Hash Browns, Thawed
- 2 Cups 8 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a 4-5 quart capacity Crock Pot. Stir until combined.
- Add the potatoes and stir until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the top with 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Store remaining 1 cup of cheese in the fridge until needed.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours or until the potatoes are cooked and fork tender.
- Turn the Crock Pot off and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt and serve.
Recipe Notes For Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes:
Potato texture: the texture of your finished product will turn out best if the potatoes are thawed in the fridge overnight. Thawing should always occur at a safe food storage temperature.
Onion selection: According to Food Hacks, yellow onions (also called brown onions) work best in crockpot dishes and are generally the safest choice for any recipe. White onions have a higher water content and more pungent taste and are more commonly served raw. Red onions and sweet onions are better suited for dishes like salads, and green onions are often used as a garnish. BuzzFeed’s Christine Byrne provides another helpful guide to different onions and their uses.
How Do You Freeze Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes?
I do not recommend freezing cheesy crockpot potatoes. Since the potatoes in this recipe start out frozen, it’s not advisable to refreeze them before serving or to store leftovers in the freezer.
In general, refreezing previously frozen ingredients are more likely to impact the texture and flavor of your dish. In this case, it would not be unsafe to freeze the cheesy potatoes, but you can probably count on a mushy texture and soggy onions.
For answers to more freezing questions than you ever knew you had, check out the United States Department of Agriculture’s “freezing and food safety”.
More Cheesy Side Dish…
- Ranch Potatoes – Our Ranch Potatoes are comfort food on steroids. With just one hour, one baking pan, and a few ingredients, you can toss together a scrumptious side dish.
- Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole– Our Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a deliciously decadent side dish with its lusciously thick, from scratch cream sauce with a cheesy crunchy top!
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham – A heapin’ helpin’ of cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham is big time comfort. A truly delicious special event side dish or weeknight main course!
More Crock Pot Recipes!
- Crock Pot Spaghetti – Yummy and easy to make ~the pasta cooks in the crockpot in the sauce, just to make life a little easier!
- Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – Few minutes needed to make this rich soup loaded with goodies!
- Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese – This recipe is coated with a cheesy flavored white sauce infused with deliciousness for the fam!
- Crockpot Baked Beans– Our crockpot baked beans are thick, meaty and delicious! These beans are the perfect compliment to your dinner table, potluck, or BBQ all year round!
- Crockpot Potato Soup is a flavorful fix it & forget it meal that’s perfect for a cold winter’s day! Velvety, thick, & creamy, it’s a hearty family favorite!