Dorito chicken casserole is a crave-worthy meal that blends a seasoned rotisserie chicken, gooey melty cheese, and America’s favorite snack chip. This is the uniquely simple delicious dinner casserole that’ll bring every member of the fam running to the table for dinner! All that Mexican-inspired cheddar-flavored goodness comes together with about 15 whole minutes of prep time, making it ideal for busy weeknight meals.
Of course, when you’re ready for something different, there’s always chicken divan, chicken noodle casserole, or the tried and true chicken broccoli rice casserole. They each have their own exclusively delicious flavor profile, but this Dorito Chicken is one of my all-time favorite chicken casserole recipes!
Check it out….
I absolutely love that this supremely simple meal is both delicious and nutritious.
- Start to finish in less than 40 minutes
- Two types of cheese!
- Rotisserie chicken means no meat to cook
- Kid-requested mom-approved meal
How To Make Dorito Chicken Casserole Recipe
This dreamy Dorito chicken casserole recipe is the simplest flavor euphoria you may ever serve on a busy weeknight.
All you need to do is sauté your veggies, then add everything but the Doritos and heat through to create your creamy taco-flavored chicken filling.
Layer it into your casserole dish alternating with layers of those crushed cheesy chips we love so much and slide into a preheated oven. Perfecto!
When creating your Dorito casserole full of Mexican-inspired flavor, take the time to sauté your veggies first. I know it’s all going into the same casserole, but this extra step brings out the more mellow balanced profile while adding an extra layer of yummy flavor.
Mexican Chicken Casserole With Doritos Ingredient Notes
Chiles –Want to make sure your Mexican chicken casserole with Doritos isn’t too spicy? Don’t be turned off by the addition of green chiles in this recipe — while “green chiles” is a general term for peppers that include jalapenos, the canned chiles you buy at the store tend to be the milder cousin known as Anaheim peppers.
Cheese – This recipe calls for two — yes, two! — types of cheese. Cheddar is more potent and punchy while jack cheese (also known as Monterey Jack) is milder and melts faster. You’ll get a well-rounded cheese flavor with this pair!
Tools to Make
This crazy delicious Dorito chicken casserole recipe is so easy to throw together, the main thing you really need is a 9×13 casserole dish or deep rimmed baking pan.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Once cooked, your Dorito chicken casserole recipe will last up to four days in your fridge. The chips on top will obviously lose their structure over time, but one trick to reviving it is to put your portion in a toaster oven, not a microwave.
You’ll be back to crispy heaven in no time!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! You can freeze this Dorito chicken casserole recipe — but you will definitely have to revive it in the oven, or you risk the chips staying a soggy mess. But a few minutes in the oven after it’s thawed will crisp the top perfectly!
You can store your baked casserole (sealed!) in the freezer for up to six months.
Make Ahead Tips
I love that this recipe uses rotisserie chicken — it speeds up the cooking time so well!
But if you want to accelerate it, even more, feel free to make the filling ahead of time and store in your fridge for up to four days. When you’re ready, finish out the recipe!
This scrumptious Dorito Chicken Casserole recipe is so crazy versatile is marries with lotsa’ Mexican inspired flavors.
Here are some other yummy variations of this easy cheesy Dorito chicken casserole recipe!
- Trade the Doritos for flour tortillas to create some intensely delicious sour cream chicken enchiladas that taste even better than take-out.
- Double the Monterey Jack to whip up the cheesiest white chicken enchiladas you ever did serve!
- Use ham and egg noodles instead of Doritos and taco seasoning to whip up a dreamy chicken cordon bleu casserole with salty hints and a panko bread crumb topping.
- Whip up a deliciously satisfying chicken tater tot casserole with just a few simple swaps and watch them rush the dinner table.
- Enjoy the decadent holiday flavors you love any time of the year with a simple chicken stuffing casserole that comes together fast and disappears even faster!
Here are even more exclusively delicious chicken casserole dishes you may want to put into your dinner rotation!
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Dorito Chicken Casserole
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut or shredded into bite size pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 packages mild taco seasoning
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, mild
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large bag nacho cheese Dorito's
- 1 1/2 cups jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add oil and cook onion until translucent. Stir in shredded chicken, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, diced chilies, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup and heat through.
- Place one-third of the crushed Doritos in the bottom of the baking dish then add half of the chicken mixture. Top with one-third of the crushed Doritos, then the remaining chicken mixture. Add the last third of the remaining Dorito's and sprinkle top evenly with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered in the preheated oven until heated through and cheese is bubbly about 20 minutes.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE