Chicken broccoli rice casserole is one of those super simple chicken and rice recipes that can please even the pickiest palates. It’s a warm hearty dish with a scrumptious cheesy topping that makes it a favorite among chicken recipes.
The best part is that you don’t have to sacrifice flavor for convenience! Chicken broccoli rice casserole makes a fantastic midweek meal because its wholesome, nutritious and it comes together fast.
This recipe incorporates many veggies with equal amounts of nutritious rice, tender broccoli, and moist succulent chicken for a winner winner chicken dinner!
I absolutely love that this casserole recipe is jam-packed with nutritious ingredients and covered with a full-on cheesy breadcrumb topping. Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you into thinking that there’s not much flavor to contend with because that couldn’t be further from the truth! Here are some of the best reasons to love it.
- Cheesy crunchy topping
- Hearty and nutritious
- Simple mix and bake instructions
- Moist, creamy and delicious
- Great for meal prep
How To Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Begin with preheating the oven. Then mix all the first 8 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add chicken, broccoli, and rice, mix well. Transfer the mixture in a casserole dish, then top with the mixed topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes… and now dinner is ready!
Turning a few wholesome ingredients into this chicken broccoli rice casserole is really easy and it doesn’t require any special kitchen gadgets. There are a couple of ways, however, to make things easier on yourself.
Baking Dish – First, try to use a 9×13 baking dish and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. This will make clean-up a breeze.
Preheating Oven – It’s also important to preheat your oven. For some of us lackadaisical cookers, it’s easy to question how important it really is to completely preheat your oven. The thing is that when you’re following an exact recipe, the cooking time will not be correct if you don’t preheat your oven.
That’s not all. Ovens preheat differently and some are designed to use both a top and bottom element to preheat quickly. If food is already in the oven, this quick blast of heat can char the outside while leaving the inside raw. So, you definitely want to preheat your oven before baking this to achieve the best results.
Topping – You’ll also have that savory fragrant cheesy breadcrumb topping to contend with. While it’s a cinch to mix up and toss on your casserole, some people do prefer it a little crispier than others. If that’s you, then slide it under the broiler for a quick minute and crisp it up a little more!
One of the most lovable things about this delectable chicken casserole is how versatile it is! If you prefer fresh broccoli, then use it. It’ll probably take about 20-30 minutes to get it cooked al dente, depending on the method you use.
Boccoli – If you prefer softer broccoli, then frozen may be your best bet. I typically find that cutting broccoli into half-inch cubes works best for this casserole.
Chicken – Cooked chicken makes this casserole convenient and gives it a ton of protein. If you want to start with uncooked chicken, simply simmer it, chop or shred it, then it’s all ready to use in the casserole.
Feel free to use rotisserie chicken or even leftover grilled chicken from another dinner. It’s got that extra touch of seasoning that really makes it something special.
Cheese – Now for the cheese!! Everything is better with cheese. Here’s the thing. You can use any type of shredded cheese you fancy but I find that cheddar works best. Yellow cheddar is customary and beautiful but it’s hard to beat the flavor of white cheddar. If you want the best of both worlds, combine a cup of each to top your casserole!
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Storing Tips
Storing this dish is as simple as covering it properly and sliding it in the fridge. It is best kept in an airtight container with a secure lid to keep it fresh. It will keep just fine in a large Ziploc also and it will save you room in the fridge, but your cheesy breadcrumb topping may end up mixed into your casserole.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, and I do this myself. I often make two casseroles and put one in the freezer for later. If you know you’re going to be freezing this, then prepare as directed without the cheesy breadcrumb topping. Wrap it up and toss it in the freezer instead of the oven.
When you’re ready to pop it in the oven for dinner, that’s when you mix up your savory crunchy topping and cover your casserole.
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Make Ahead Tips
This chicken broccoli casserole is fantastic for meal prep! You can make it ahead the same way you prepare to freeze it. Combine your ingredients and spread it into a prepared casserole dish. Then cover and toss into the fridge. On dinner night add your cheesy breadcrumb topping and toss it in the oven. Voila – dinner!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
If your chicken broccoli rice casserole is stored properly in an environment at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, it can stay in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. It is best to reserve the 2-hour serving rule for food safety.
There are so many different things you can do to this, its easy to make subtle changes to the recipe.
- If you prefer to omit broccoli, there’s no shame in that game! Serve Dorito chicken casserole with a crisp salad or put some broccoli on the side if you need some greens to go with it.
- Mexican chicken casserole is a nice twist on a chicken casserole with a Mexican flair. It offers those South of the border flavors in a simple casserole even the kids will love. You can also take things in another rich creamy direction with chicken tortilla casserole that brings the wonders of Tex-Mex to your table.
- Chicken bacon ranch pasta combines two of America’s favorite foods into a scrumptious bubbling beauty that will fill hearts and tummies alike. Just about everyone loves bacon and ranch!
- When you’re short on time, don’t fret. Make instant pot chicken and rice in a fraction of the time.
Chicken casserole recipes are easy, creamy, and delicious. They’re fantastic for intimate family meals, potlucks and friendly get-togethers. The best part is that they are easy to change and prepare. Many times, they can be ready in under an hour.
Here are some of my favorite chicken casserole recipes for you to try.
- No Peek Chicken – tender rice and chicken dish with a savory sauce
- Chicken Divan – Packed with broccoli, cheese, and juicy chicken
- Chicken Tater Tot Casserole – a certified crowd-pleaser
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole – super creamy with sour cream and creamy soup
- Tamale Casserole – a sweet corn pudding topping, chicken and melted cheese
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 cans Campbells condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2-3 cups chicken cooked and cubed or shredded
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the first 8 ingredients until evenly combined. Add the chicken, broccoli, and rice and fold until evenly coated and ingredients are mixed. Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole evenly with grated cheese. In a small bowl, mix together panko, dried thyme, and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over cheese layer. Bake in preheated oven 30-35 minutes or until casserole is heated through and panko crumbs are golden brown.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
Chicken broccoli rice casserole is a hearty favorite across generations. It’s got a dreamy cheesy breadcrumb topping and plenty of wholesome nutritious ingredients you can feel good about serving your family. This scrumptious casserole can be on the table in under an hour with only a 10-minute prep time and it tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen!
Whip up a little love today with a winner winner chicken dinner!