My chicken and rice casserole recipe is the ultimate in quick, hearty chicken recipes! There always seems to be a night where the whole family wants comfort food and I’m short on time and energy.
This is my go-to recipe. It literally takes 10 minutes to put together before you pop it in the oven.
Enter: chicken casserole recipes! I can’t tell you how many times one-dish meals like my chicken and rice casserole recipe have saved me. I’m able to bring a full meal to my family in one easy go!
Tender rice, creamy sauce, moist chicken — it all cooks in one dish!
Let’s make some chicken and rice!
A recipe doesn’t have to be complex to be a favorite! In fact, some of my favorite meals are the ones that are super easy to make. This old school recipe is simple, delicious, and a definite Top Ten Best Dinners!
- 10 minute prep!
- One dish! Easy cleanup!
- Perfectly cooked chicken in a creamy sauce
- Crowd-pleasing comfort food!
Instant Rice: What exactly is instant rice and why is it so great in a meal like this? Instant rice is actually rice that has been fully cooked and then dehydrated. So instead of having to cook your rice, what you’re really doing is rehydrating it. That’s why it finishes so much more quickly than normal rice and is great for fast dishes like this one!
This is the only rice I use in this recipe. Don’t switch it for long-grain, or the like, because the ratios and cooking times won’t work properly.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Once cooked and cooled, your cheesy chicken rice casserole will last up to four days in the fridge. But be sure you store your leftovers in airtight containers!
The last thing you want is that yucky fridge taste in your delicious casserole.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! The best way to freeze this chicken and rice casserole with cream of mushroom soup is to fully cook it first. You can freeze it raw, but you risk some yucky things happening with the raw chicken during prep/thawing. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
Once cooked, thoroughly cool your casserole and attach your baking dish’s lid. If you don’t have a lid, you can use plastic wrap. Here’s the right way to wrap in plastic…and YES, it really matters! Then pop it in your freezer, where it’ll be just fine for four to six months!
Make Ahead Tips
My chicken and rice casserole recipe is the epitome of no-time-gotta-get-it-in-the-oven-NOW. You whip together all the ingredients right in the pan! Easy, right?
If you want to speed the process up, even more, you can always mix together your creamy sauce ingredients. When you’re ready, pour it and the chicken/rice into your pan.
Honestly, though, I don’t recommend going this route — you’ll actually make more work for yourself because now you have to clean the mixing bowl! Boo!
This creamy and cheesy dish with tender chicken deserves a crunchy fried eggplant on the side or a sweet and tangy KFC coleslaw. If you’re pressed for time, just a simple green salad will round out your meal perfectly.
- Add Doritos on top. If the cheese on top is not enough, grab a bag of Doritos and sprinkle it on top like how I did with Dorito chicken casserole.
- Use whole chicken breast. Put the whole chicken breast on top ala Campbells chicken and rice style!
- Add broccoli. Kids are more inclined to eat their broccoli in chicken divan and chicken stuffing casserole. If you have frozen broccoli in your freezer, grab it and add it here!
- Use wild rice. The chicken and rice casserole pioneer woman version uses wild rice. It needs to be separately cooked first before combining it with the other ingredients. You can also use the excess to make a creamy chicken wild rice soup!
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups Instant Rice
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a 9X13 inch baking dish stir together cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, cream of mushroom soup, water, milk, poultry seasoning, dried thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, and cooled melted butter until smooth. Stir in rice and chicken until well mixed. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked about 70 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes then sprinkle top with parsley or green onions to garnish. Serve.