Mexican chicken soup is one of our favorite chicken soup recipes. If you’re looking for Mexican chicken recipes that are perfect for cooler weather, Mexican chicken soup delivers zesty flavor in a comforting seasoned broth.
Like other chicken recipes that we love, Mexican chicken soup recipe is budget-friendly and appeals to the whole family.
Let’s get started!
My family loves everything Mexican-flavored. I love that Mexican chicken soup recipe satisfies that craving while getting in several servings of veggies and legumes. The best things about this soup are:
- It’s loaded with vitamins and protein
- The yummy blend of spices
- That delicious, crunchy topping!
The bright, zesty flavors of Mexican chicken soup come from lots of delicious veggies and spices. Feel free to make adjustments and substitutions based on your family’s palates.
Chicken: If you have chicken thighs on hand, they can be used in place of chicken breasts. Because thighs are denser than breasts, they may require a slightly longer cooking time.
Jalapeño: When choosing a jalapeno, the little white cracks or striations indicate a spicier pepper. If jalapeno is too hot for some members of your family, try a milder pepper like poblano or cubanelle instead.
Canned corn and tomatoes: Canned veggies are picked and preserved at the peak of their freshness. Many varieties are available with little or no added salt. If fresh vegetables are in season, fresh corn and tomatoes will be delicious in this soup, too. If you’re using frozen corn kernels, be sure to thaw them before adding them to your Mexican chicken soup recipe.
Salsa: There are lots of delicious salsas on the market. Choose your family’s favorite, or be bold and try a new flavor. Different types of salsa will add different, subtle layers of flavor to your Mexican chicken soup recipe.
Black beans: Your grocer may offer black beans with and without seasoning. The seasoning is usually a blend of salt, onion, garlic, and other spices. These flavors will blend nicely with the Mexican chicken soup if you choose the seasoned beans. If you’re concerned about too much added salt, opt for the unseasoned beans instead.
Paprika: We love the flavor of smoked paprika in this dish. You can substitute mild paprika plus a dash of smoke flavor if that’s what you have on hand. Feeling bold? Try a dash of hot paprika! Remember, paprika should be stored in the fridge for the longest shelf life.
Soups should be stored in glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids. Look for versatile containers that can go from the freezer or fridge, right into the microwave.
Can You Freeze This?
Mexican chicken soup recipe freezes and reheats beautifully. Be sure to cool the soup completely before placing it in the freezer so you don’t raise the temperature inside the freezer. Also, omit the toppings when freezing the soup. They will get soggy if frozen. You can freeze for up to three months. For the freshest flavor, sprinkle the toppings on the soup after thawing and reheating.
Make Ahead Tips
Mexican chicken soup is perfect as a make-ahead meal. The flavors blend and taste even more scrumptious a day or two after cooking. Make a big batch of Mexican chicken soup recipe and it will be perfect for lunches as well as a dinner entree.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Cooked soups, such as Mexican chicken soup recipe, will be at their peak freshness and flavor if eaten within 3-5 days.
One of the best things about chicken soups is that they’re easily adaptable to suit your family’s tastes. Check out these other great suggestions for chicken soups.
Can I Make Mexican Chicken Soup With Rice?
Chicken and rice were made to go together. Try our chicken and rice soup for a hearty meal any evening. For an even more comforting variation, creamy chicken and wild rice soup will be a hit with everyone in your family.
Can I Make Mexican Chicken Soup Slow Cooker Style?
With a little prep work in the morning, crockpot chicken soup will be ready to eat by dinner time. Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup cooks while you go about your day, with little effort on your part.
Can This Be Cooked In An Instant Pot?
Need dinner in a hurry? Instant pot chicken soup will hit the spot in no time. Looking for a Mexi-inspired meal in a flash? Instant pot chicken tortilla soup can be ready with little prep and cooking time.
What Other Mexican Soups I Can Try?
If you like corn, you’ll love the hominy in our chicken posole. And our chicken enchilada soup has all the flavors of traditional enchiladas in a bowl full of goodness!
What Other Recipes Can I Make to Use My Excess Tortillas?
Tortillas are so versatile, and we think they make every meal taste better! Try our chicken tortilla soup to give leftover tortillas a new life. Creamy chicken tortilla soup is another great option using tasty tortillas.
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 6 chicken breast halves cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) jar salsa I use mild
- 1 (11-ounce) can whole corn drained
- 2 (15-ounce) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese shredded
- tortilla chips coarsely chopped
- In a medium pot, add chicken and cover with 1 inch of water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. On medium-high heat, bring water to a roaring boil. Remove from heat and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until there's no longer any pink in chicken. Remove chicken from pot, let stand until cool enough to handle, then dice.
- Sautee onion, red pepper, and jalapeno in a large pot until very soft. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika, and cumin. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except for the chicken. Simmer on medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours to allow all the flavors to develop. Add water, as needed, to the soup if it gets too thick. Add chicken and heat through. Garnish soup with cilantro, tortilla chips, and cheese. This soup is even better if made and refrigerated a day ahead of serving.
- If you are in a hurry, don't worry about the simmer time. The soup is still wonderful if you heat everything through after you saute the veggies. I like the long simmer because I like the canned veggies to soften and the flavors to really merge.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
If you love to try all kinds of yummy chicken soup dishes, we think you’ll really enjoy these, too:
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Curry Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- Crack Chicken Noodle Soup
Mexican-inspired meals, like our soup, are perfect for year-round dining. Healthy and hearty with just the right amount of heat, our Mexican chicken soup recipe is the perfect meal to spice up a chilly evening.
Did you make this recipe? Share your questions and comments below.