My chicken vegetable soup recipe is the heartiest, down-homiest of all chicken soup recipes! All chicken recipes have an inherent coziness to them, bringing traditional tastes and familiar textures. But there’s just something magical that happens when you make and eat chicken vegetable soup! The nutritious veggies simmer in a tomatoey broth with chunks of tender chicken . . . mm-mm-good!
Whether you’re sick or healthy, whether it’s cold or hot out, you can’t go wrong with my chicken vegetable soup recipe! Coziness: ACTIVATE!
There’s so much to love about my chicken vegetable soup recipe! I mean, who can say no to a big steaming bowl of homemade chicken soup?
- One-pot meal
- Easy cleanup
- Packed with veggies
How To Make Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
Making a filling, delicious chicken vegetable soup is easier than you might expect! And it starts with one of the best ingredients known to chef kind: bacon!
Cook your bacon in a big soup pot and transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate once it’s done. But leave some of those bacon drippings in there! That’s what’ll give flavor when you saute your onion and garlic and make a roux (to thicken the broth!). Whisk in your remaining ingredients, simmer for about 25 minutes, and you’re ready for soup heaven!
There is nothing more disappointing than cooking a dish that doesn’t turn out perfect. I’m here to make sure your meal is good to the last spoonful!
Chicken Veggie Soup Ingredient Notes
Let’s start with the first, the best: BACON!
Bacon: Don’t feel limited to traditional bacon in this recipe! There are so many delicious varieties that can bring yummy bacon flavor to your soup. I particularly love smoked bacon to give a nice smoky twist to the soup!
Potatoes: This healthy chicken vegetable soup recipe calls for russet potatoes. What’s the difference between russet potatoes and other kinds? Russet potatoes have some of the highest starch content, which means they break down very well when cooked in soups and help further thicken the broth.
Dried Herbs: Many soup recipes ask for dried herbs, and with good reason! Dried herbs in soups simmer with the other ingredients, giving them time to fully release all the yummy flavors.
One of my all-time favorite things is to make a bunch of soup and store it to eat throughout the long, dark winter months. But what’s the best way to store so much soup? Read on!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! My chicken vegetable soup recipe is made to be a freezer meal. Cool it off, portion it out, and store safely in your freezer for up to three months. That’s plenty of time to get you through winter!
I also love gifting this soup to friends and family during the holidays. It’s so simple to give someone a container of soup with directions as simple as freeze, thaw, reheat, eat! You can find such lovely holiday containers this time of year as well.
Make Ahead Tips
This soup comes together in four easy steps, which means prepping ahead of time isn’t practical. But! If you need to shave some time off, you can swap out fresh russet potatoes for canned potatoes. That cuts the end simmering time in half!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Chicken vegetable soup is great for weekday lunch leftovers. This kind of soup was made for a Thermos! Portion it in and store your soup in the fridge for up to four days. You can shake things up each day by adding different toppings — one day go for crackers, one day use croutons!
Is there a wrong way to make soup? Nope! Let’s see how creative we can get.
Can I Make This With An Asian Twist?
Asian soups are all winners! Thai chicken soup is one of my favorite things to get at restaurants — and now you can make it at home! Chicken ramen is a worldwide classic, and this version tastes way better than those styrofoam containers. Chicken pho is the Asian equivalent of chicken noodle soup. I promise you’ll love it!
Can I Cook This In An Instant Pot?
Yes! Instant pot chicken noodle soup and instant pot chicken soup are great ways to get fast flavor. If you want something a little different, instant pot chicken tortilla soup is a zesty way to spice up the cold nights!
Can I Cook This In A Crockpot Instead?
What goes into the Instant Pot can go into the Crockpot! A Crock pot chicken vegetable soup recipe is just begging to be made. If you’ve never had Crockpot chicken and dumplings, boy, you’re missing out! Fluffy dumplings simmering all day in a chicken broth? Yum! Crockpot chicken noodle soup and Crockpot chicken soup are classics that can’t be beat.
Can I Use Dumplings Instead?
Chicken dumpling soup is an even better way to get a filling meal out of soup! Bisquick chicken and dumplings is the fast, tried and true method, while southern chicken and dumplings gives a down-home spin on this hearty fare.
What Other Chicken Soups Can I Make?
The list is endless! Chicken curry soup brings Indian spices that pack a punch while across the globe, Greek lemon chicken soup is tart and bright! And of course, chicken potato soup is a hearty Irish dish similar to this chicken vegetable soup recipe. Dive in!
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 heaping tablespoon chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Cook bacon pieces in a large soup pot over medium, stirring often. until the bacon is cooked. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove and discard all but 2 generous tablespoonfuls of the drippings in pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until it begins to soften about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove pot from the heat and slowly whisk in chicken stock until smooth. Return to heat and stir in Better Than Bouillon, Italian seasoning, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, potatoes, and frozen vegetables.
- Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Add more chicken broth if the soup gets too thick. Stir in chicken and heat through. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
Even more! More and more! Chicken soup never ends, and why should it? It’s all delicious!
- Mexican Chicken Soup – Top with avocadoes for an added treat!
- Rotisserie Chicken Soup – Rotisserie flavor, less hassle!
- Crack Chicken Noodle Soup – Yes, it’s that good!
- Bisquick Chicken And Dumplings – Fluffy dumplings fast!
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup – An Italian specialty.
My chicken vegetable soup recipe is a great way to branch out from the standard chicken soup dishes. Bacon and tomatoes and Italian seasoning — each bite is a symphony of flavor!
What do you love eating your soup with best — bread or crackers? Let me know in the comments!