This chicken vegetable soup recipe is hearty, comforting, and absolutely delicious. We eat a lot of chicken soup in our house. As soon as the weather begins to cool, this goes into my regular dinner rotation.
All chicken soup recipes- chicken noodle soup, instant pot chicken noodle soup, chicken and rice soup, you name it- have an inherent coziness to them, bringing traditional tastes and familiar textures.
Let’s make some soup!
There’s so much to love about my chicken vegetable soup recipe! I mean, who can say no to a big steaming bowl of homemade chicken soup?
- One-pot meal
- Easy cleanup
- Packed with veggies
Let’s start with the first, the best: BACON!
- Bacon: Don’t feel limited to traditional bacon in this recipe! There are so many delicious varieties that can bring yummy bacon flavor to your soup. I particularly love smoked bacon to give a nice smoky twist to the soup!
- Potatoes: This healthy chicken vegetable soup recipe calls for russet potatoes. What’s the difference between russet potatoes and other kinds? Russet potatoes have some of the highest starch content, which means they break down very well when cooked in soups and help further thicken the broth.
- Dried Herbs: Many soup recipes ask for dried herbs, and with good reason! Dried herbs in soups simmer with the other ingredients, giving them time to fully release all the yummy flavors.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Chicken vegetable soup recipe is great for weekday lunch leftovers. This kind of soup was made for a Thermos! Portion it in and store your soup in the fridge for up to three to four days.
You can shake things up each day by adding different toppings — one day go for crackers, one day use croutons!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! This chicken vegetable soup recipe is made to be a freezer meal. Cool it off, portion it out, and store safely in your freezer for up to 4-6 months. That’s plenty of time to get you through winter!
I also love gifting this soup to friends and family during the holidays. It’s so simple to give someone a container of soup with directions as simple as freeze, thaw, reheat, eat!
When there’s soup, there’s bread. And for me, I like it homemade and fast. Super quick Bisquick drop biscuits are the first thing that comes to mind because you can literally make it in just 20 minutes. It’s tender, moist, and just as wholesome as the crusty beer bread.
Is there a wrong way to make soup? Nope! Let’s see how creative we can get.
- Add some Mexican flavors. Craving for more zesty flavors? Swap the spices to get Mexican chicken soup. If you want a slow-cooked version, chicken posole is certainly for you!
- Make it creamier. Elevate the robust taste of this soup with cream of chicken soup by stirring in heavy cream.
- Add more potatoes. Curb your potato craziness by doubling the potatoes to put together chicken potato soup. Got some bacon too? Check out my chicken corn chowder for inspo.
- Southern Chicken And Dumplings
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Matzo Ball Soup
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 heaping tablespoon chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Cook bacon pieces in a large soup pot over medium, stirring often. until the bacon is cooked. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove and discard all but 2 generous tablespoonfuls of the drippings in pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until it begins to soften about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove pot from the heat and slowly whisk in chicken stock until smooth. Return to heat and stir in Better Than Bouillon, Italian seasoning, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, potatoes, and frozen vegetables.
- Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Add more chicken broth if the soup gets too thick. Stir in chicken and heat through. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Fans Also Made: